Private lessons, chamber music, string orchestra, clinics, masterclasses, and concerts will be the focus of an intense workshop for violinists, violists, cellists, double bassists, and harpists under the instruction of our internationally-acclaimed UNT string faculty.
Welcome to the UNT Summer String Institute!
We are excited to welcome you to the third season of the UNT Summer String Institute. Students are free to choose one or come for both sessions. Private lessons, chamber music, string orchestra, clinics, masterclasses, and concerts will be the focus of an intense workshop for violinists, violists, cellists, double bassists, and harpists. Our internationally acclaimed UNT string faculty, principal players of the Dallas Symphony, and esteemed guest artists will share their ample knowledge and expertise with our students. All this in the rich and wonderful environment of the UNT College of Music with its great facilities in the the heart of North Texas and the Dallas – Fort Worth Metroplex.
NEW in 2016: SSI welcomes double bassists and harpists to apply! We are also excited to have the Baumer String Quartet in residence during the first session.
We look forward to seeing you at UNT in June 2016. Follow us on Facebook for current updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which is the closest airport? Dallas-Fort Worth International (35min by car) and Dallas Love Field (55min).
- Is there public transportation from the DFW to Denton? Yes, please click here for more information.
- Is there a bus shuttle service on campus? Yes, please clik here for more information.
- Where can I park my car on campus? On the parking site next to Crumley Hall and Traditions Hall.
- Where do I obtain a parking permit? At the front desk of Crumley Hall and Traditions Hall during the dorm check-in.
- How much is parking for boarders? Parking is free.
- How much is parking for commuters? A one-time $6 fee.
- In case of an emergancy, who do I contact? A list of counselors’ names and phone numbers will be sent to you.
- Where is the nearest hospital? Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Denton, 3000 North I-35, Denton, TX 76201, 940-898-7000
- Will there be close supervision of my child’s medications? Yes, counselors will be in charge.
- Where do I reside? Cumley Hall (Youth) and Traditions Hall (Adult)
- Where do I eat my meals? Bruce Hall Cafeteria
- Do I need to bring bedding for my dormitory stay? Yes, bed linen.
- Is the dorm room air-conditioned? Yes.
- Is there a curfew? Yes, “ligths off” is at 10:30pm.
- Will my child be supervised in the dormitory? Yes, several counselors will be around 24/7.
- Is there wireless internet access? Yes, for a one-time $6 fee for the duration of the string institite.
- Can my child check out of the dorm early? Yes, immediately after the student concert on Thursday evening (June 23 or June 30) ends around 10:30pm.
- What are the counselors’ responsibilities? Counselors will be on staff 24/7 and stay in the dormitory over night. They will coordinate fun acitivities aside from the daily musical schedule. All counselors are trained to take on all responibilites that come along with the string institute.