harpcolumn

Which Harp Trolley Is Best?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Which Harp Trolley Is Best?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am buying my first harp trolley and I need opinions!

Whats harp trolley do you use? has it worked well with stairs, turns etc.? would you recommend yours or would you recommend another type of Harp Trolley?

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Hi Michelle,

I guess what is best would depend on the harp you are moving.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I have the old Royal harp cart made by Roy McLaughlin. He invented the 6-wheel idea, and his cart is better than the copies for a couple of reasons: it lets the harp sit flat on the floor; you can leave the harp on the cart for weeks at a time and it’s totally stable, a real plus when you need to leave the harp in the hall while you search for the room where you’ll be playing.

It also has lawnmower type handles which let you easily keep the neck of the harp under your arm when moving. To me, this is more stable and safer than just pushing the harp totally in front of you, especially when going up a step. It’s also nice because I can hang my gig bag, maximouse amp, and anderson stand in its case on the handles and get everything in one trip.

It’s being made now by his grandson, Keith. You can reach him at mac439@qwest.net.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I should say, though, that the L&H cart has a better turning radius, if doing tight circles is a concern.

I was going to get a kart-a-bag for my thormahlen, but I discovered I can use the royal cart for that, too, with a longer strap. But if you’re looking to move a lever harp only, I don’t think I’d go for it. It’s great if you play both kinds of harp, though.

I use a standard L&H harp cart for my concert grand Camac. I use a Staples $52 fold-up cart for my Webster Cecelia. The Staples cart holds 250 lbs., but I wouldn’t put my big harp on it because it isn’t sturdy enough. They both work great for me. I wouldn’t want to do stairs with either one though. I do get them down a threshhold at the door, and a berm in the garage, but not a lot of steps. I always wondered about those 3-wheeled things. They are intriguing to me.

Briggsie

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I love my 6-wheel harp caddy.

HarpMom 2009
    Participant

We use the standard model Harp Porter (http://www.harpporter.com) for both lever and pedal harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a Salvi Daphne 46, sorry I forgot to mention that!

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a Salvi Daphne 46, Sorry I forgot to mention that!

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Barbara,

I’ve been thinking about getting a 6-wheel cart.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t know, Jennifer. I’ve had mine since long before there was an internet. 🙂

I only know the email address because he posted it here recently in another thread (the one about the harp cart that fell apart and smelled, I think.)

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

The best harp trolly I ever seen and used is the one of made by Fischer,Germany

here is a link to the harp trolly

http://www.musikhaus-fackler.de/fisherharps/harpo/harpoef.htm

mr-s

hi Michelle, i used to use trolley of 6 wheels in our conservatory, but let me say you that you still need 2 persons to move the harp by it, one moving downstairs and another holding the column, but really the harp gets shocks when you move it downstairs or up, and it takes time, better to carry it on the stairs and then use a trolley of 2 wheels on surfaces, i am going to buy one of tow wheels and asked Carl Swanson so he advised me of 2 wheels too, i found it on http://www.Vanderbiltmusic.com and on http://www.harp.com

Janet Rathbun
    Participant

When my now 16-year-old daughter was 12, she got a Lyon & Healy 85E and we ordered two harp carts, the L & H one and a 6-wheeled one that was recommended by the staff of a harp store in a neighboring state. Her harp has to go down three steps to leave our house, and she has had to transport it over rough terrain from time to time. With the help of her teacher, she tried both carts and found that the Lyon & Healy cart was MUCH easier to use because turning it was so much easier. After four and a half years, she is still very satisfied with the cart.

john-strand
    Participant

David Williams of Williams Harp Galleries makes an aluminum frame cart with two large wide air filled tires – I find it a much smoother ride for my concert grande especially over rougher surfaces as well as mushy ones like lawns – it also takes thresholds and those little floor level differences at elevator doors quite nicely – I particularly like it on stairs as the air filled tires are acting like springs cushioning from one step to the next both up the stairs and down them –

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies