harpcolumn

Wagner's Flying Dutchman

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Wagner's Flying Dutchman

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I just received the music for Wagner’s “Flying Dutchman” for February performances. Would anyone have and be willing to share pedal markings with me? Not many measures of music but it seems a pedaling/enharmonic challenge.
    Thank you!

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

If it’s the Overture, Sarah Bullen covers it in her book, Principal Harp Book 2.

I also have my own edition, if you would like to email me. You can find my contact info on http://www.elizabethvolpebligh.com.

Victoria
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth, just wondering if your version is the same as the one in Bullen’s principal harp book? I find that version, although playable, still quite challenging.

Also what is the tempo the orchestra usually play at? In Bullen’s edition it’s written as minim=63, and the one on IMSLP said 72. But all the ones I have heard on youtube are way faster than that.

Thanks everyone in advance.

No, I have a different version than in Sarah Bullen’s book. It can go very fast. Nowadays, it seems that everyone is going as fast as humanly possible, or beyond.

Here are the PDF’s of both pages of my edition. Our last tempo for this was 88, not 72. It varies, depending on the conductor.

I couldn’t upload them after all. You can email me if you would like to see them.

Victoria
    Participant

Thanks so much Elizabeth, I will send you an email.

Oh dear…88…is it still playable securely at that tempo?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies