harpcolumn

Venus harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Venus harps?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mia-strayer
    Participant

If you love Venus Harps that much you should go with it.
    I recommend them because my harp teacher has one and it has a really good sound.
    Which one are you thinking about getting? The Venus classic concert harp or a different Venus harp.

madelyn-delillah
    Participant

Hi Mia,
    I would go for a Venus Penti or an Aria but my first choice and favorite is the Classic. The carved roses look soooo beautiful and elegant. It’s one of my favorite harps.

mia-strayer
    Participant

I love the Venus classic concert harp it is so beautiful!
    Especially when it has two different colors on the column it even looks more beautiful
    Cherry and natural woods very pretty together
    I ‘d go with the venous classic concert harp any day
    I know you’ll love your harp once you get it
    Venous harps have a really good sound quality to them
    But like I said go with your gut
    Good luck on your harp hunt

jason.hotfingers
    Participant

Hello there,

To be frank, if the right humidity and temperature are constanstly monitored which never exceeded +-10%, and regular service and regulations for any brand of harps will ensure the instrument durabality. I have a friend who owns a brand new steinway concert grand but he didnt take good care of it. And living in such high humidity by the sea. Thus, his piano got constantly stuck due to stickyness and swelling of some joins. And rusty bass strings. He complained that to steinway company and they cant do anything. Any instruments can be the most expensive or cheap but if there is no proper caring of the instruments. It will surely gone wrong.

Best advise, go to the store or shop and try if out. See if there has any “emotional” connections to you. Then you will pick the instrument . Otherwise just keep on hunting and search!

Have a great day!

Barbara
    Participant

I played on a Venus at one of the colleges I attended. As far as I can remember, it was a great harp. The one thing to note is that this one was a beast! Moving it will probably build up some muscles. But if you like one at a good price, I see no reason to turn it down because it’s a Venus. 🙂

Have you checked with your university to see if they have a harp? Or if there’s a harp teacher on faculty, he/she could probably give you some pointers as well. And have you considered a small harp (like those cute cardboard ones) until you nail down what you like and/or save up some extra money? (This doesn’t sound like what you’re going for, but just in case.)

Happy harp hunting!

Mark Martin
    Participant

For the record, Venus has two reputations. The first is that when they are good they are great. The second is that when there is a problem with a new harp you are on your own. I am a professional harpist with a lot of work. I usually play a concert grand for work but I wanted a smaller harp for when I play with the chamber orchestra and smaller venues. Most factories don’t make these anymore. I ordered a new one from Venus and it took a few months as expected. It was beautiful when it arrived and, as expected, the bass had the iconic rich and wonderful sound. But I noticed that the F string in the second octave would not ring in the natural or sharp position. I pointed it out the the tech who delivered the harp. He said to give it a week or two. Well, at the end of two weeks the neck has twisted so badly that the entire second octave barely even played and the the sound was terrible. The tech came back and tried moving the discs out so they would have contact with the strings. We also replaced the strings with gut. After a month the problem was so bad that I just packed up the harp. The bad news is that for them to fix it, I have to drive the harp to Chicago plus pay for the repairs myself. Remember, this is a brand NEW harp. I wish this was a special case but I know other Venus Harpist with the same story. But only with NEW harps. So if you really want a Venus, get a USED one.

wbashant
    Participant

I have had my Venus harp since 1998 and like it a lot. I’ve had no problems servicing it. My biggest gripe with the company is buying replacement strings. L&H is much, much more responsive than they’re company is. They send them out and you receive them sooner than a week. Venus’s string distributed closes down arbitrarily in the summer, which can be alarming. In Panama, you are likely need strings, so this isn’t and insignificant grioe

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies