harpcolumn

Venus harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Venus harps?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    madelyn-delillah
    Participant

Hi there,
    I am looking to purchase my first harp since I am moving over seas to an area where I will not be able to rent one. I don’t want to give up playing the harp because I will be going to an American University and will still have the possibility of lessons but, of course, I need an instrument. I’ve seen quite a few Venus listings on this website and have considered emailing some of their owners to talk about a possible purchase of the instrument because their cheap. One of the things that’s holding me back is that I’ve had two harp teachers in Chicago, both great and very talented, and they’ve both always told me that Venus harps are good to rent but to NEVER actually purchase one. When I asked why, they told me that they just weren’t good instruments and that if I really wanted to buy I should purchase either a Salvi or Lyon & Healy if I wanted a good durable instrument. I wanted to get some input from people who have experience or own a Venus harp. Do you recommend them? Do you think they will do good in tropical climate because my move is to Panama City, Panama. In general, what do you think of Venus harps and should I keep them as viable candidates for my harp purchase. THANKS!

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Hi Madelyn.
    Everyone has their preferences, and it is unfortunate that people make such sweeping statements. I have a Venus Encore and am very happy with it. It has a full, rich bass and an upper register which is clear and sparkling without a hint of harshness. As far as being well-built is concerned, mine is 10 years old and has never had any problem. I certainly would not rule out a Venus. Whatever you decide, remember that nothing takes the place of trying and choosing an instrument in person, since the sound and feel of every harp is different, and the experience of playing, as well as what feels/sounds right to you is so subjective. Good luck!

Hi Madelyn,
    I have a Venus Encore and it’s actually the second harp I have purchased from them since 1996. The tone, quality, evenness, craftsmanship and stability are excellent, I would recommend you try their harps and don’t agree that they are not quality instruments. I do agree with Eliza, the best way to determine what is right for you is to go play any harp in person. Every harp is unique even two identical models made by the same manufacturer may sound different due to the natural properties of the wood.
    No matter which manufacturer you decide on you are the one that will be playing it and your opinion of how it looks, sounds and feels matters most. Best of luck on finding a harp!

jimmy-h
    Participant

I would be very concerned about what affect the high humidity will do to any harp. When I was there it rained for six months and was dry for six months. We had to run our air conditioning just to keep the mold from growing on the walls. its such a beautiful country but the humidity was brutal sometimes.

kreig-kitts

I have a Venus that is nearly 40 years old and is still sound structurally and has a beautiful tone, and I know a professional harpist who has two Venuses and loves them both. A few months ago I went to a concert where the performer had a Venus and I didn’t particularly care for that particular harp’s tone, though I can probably say the same about most makes of harps. Don’t rule them out. If you’re ever going to Chicago to visit Lyon and Healy anyway, it would certainly be worth your while to visit Venus while you’re there.

Anirishman

Greetings Madelyn,
    As mentioned above, I would be concerned about what high humidity would do to any harp model from any company. My first pedal harp was a Venus Encore which was a beautiful instrument and provided many years of care free enjoyment. Currently I have two Venus harps, a Premier and an Aria, both of which are excellent instruments and I have had no problems with either harp in any way. The Preimer is moved regularly and is used outdoors often and holds up just fine in the humidity. (otherwise both harps are kept in a climate controlled building) If you have an opportunity do visit the Venus company and speak with Wally or Kurt, they are fine gentlemen to work with and will answer all your questions honestly. Best wishes in your search for a new harp and enjoy the experience.

Tacye
    Participant

Have you considered not looking for a great harp, but rather a second hand one as cheap as you can find? It would be likely to loose less value in a stressful climate than a new one.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I would agree with Tacye, not at all because of climate, but because one thing about Venus harps is that they definitely don’t seem to have the resale value of L&H or Salvi, so you can often find quite a bargain in a used Venus if you can find an instrument that appeals to you.

For the climate thing, I’m not sure what many of the folks responding to your threads are thinking, but you can set your mind at rest, folks. Panama City is a huge modern metropolis that has plenty of air conditioning. I can’t imagine that Madelyn would have any more problems from humidity than she would have in South Texas or South Carolina or FL, in other words, none. (EDIT Well, other than perhaps somewhat more string breakage, maybe.)

john-strand
    Participant

I currently have 3 Venus harps – all concert grands in the 25-30 year range – all have a wonderful tone – no problems structurally or with the action – in fact, my blue and gold harp and I were on the way home from a job the first of May and my van was broadsided by a driver who ran a stop sign – my van was flung around into the oncoming lane and I ended up straddling the median facing the opposite direction – my van was totaled but the harp and I were both strapped in and both of us survived without any damage at all – I have been keeping an eye on the harp for any latent damage to show up but so far everything is completely sound – I attribute this to having 4″ foam padding on the floor, loading the harp in on its column and using the center seatbelt around the neck and the rearseat belt around the base- so I think you can certainly trust the reliability and durability of Venus harps – they are great!

madelyn-delillah
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Thank you all so much for your reply. I actually live in Chicago and I’ve visited Lyon and Healy but not Venus. I am currently trying to find a way to get a loan to purchase a harp to take with me to Panama and have decided to also consider a Venus due to all your good experiences with them. They seem just as good as any Lyon and Healy or Salvi harp. For everyone concerned about the weather in Panama, my godmother and grandma both have tons of air conditioning through out their homes so the harp should be fine. If anyone has any experience in taking out loans to purchase a harp, please, let me know so I can start the process. I will be leaving hopefully August 28th 2013 and must have everything ready to go by then.
    Thanks again to everyone!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Madelyn, have you been in touch with the Orquestra Nacional and http://www.operapanama.com? I really have no idea of the current harp situation there, but there used to be harpists in Panama City years ago. It’s always been very interested in and support of ballet and opera.

I ask, because frankly I think you should not take out a loan for a harp unless there is no other way to get one there. The interest rates on those loans are pretty high, and as a student you’re probably already racking up some debt for your education.

I own a Venus, as well as my harp teacher. She has had her Venus for over 30 years and this harp has been put through the ringers (she gigs a lot!), the harp has lived everywhere from the desert climate (Southern California) to the humid mid west and the harp is still going strong. We both love our Venus harps and wouldn’t trade them for the world. If you get a chance to visit them, I highly recommend you do so, then you can try Venus and L&H and see which one feels right for you.

madelyn-delillah
    Participant

Hi Barbara,
    Wow I wasn’t aware that Panama had an orchestra and an opera house. I don’t visit very often as you might notice. Thank you so much for the link and information! I’ve actually emailed them and asked about their current harp situation as well as if they knew any way to get a harp to Panama. I am awaiting their response and, again, thank you very much for this information. I’m, as yourself, completely against taking out a loan… It’s quite frankly going to be the VERY LAST resort in my quest for an instrument.
    -M

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Then you may not know that Margot Fonteyn actually lived in Panama for many years. Her story is a very interesting chapter of the history of Panama–ask your family there about it.

madelyn-delillah
    Participant

Oh how sad she died on my birthday in my country of birth… That’s quite awful…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies