harpcolumn

STRAVINSKY Symphony in Three Movements

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire STRAVINSKY Symphony in Three Movements

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hana-parausic
    Participant

Hi people!
    I can’t seem to find the score anywhere, due to its copyrights.
    Does anybody have the link where I can download it,
    or is anybody willing to scan them for me?
    Thanks a lot in forward.

Tacye
    Participant

You can see the parts here, but not print them due to copyright: http://archives.nyphil.org/index.php

MusikFind1
    Participant

As you know the work is under copyright world wide so it would be illegal to either download or for any list member to send a scan.

The miniature size study score is for sale.
    EMS7578 https://www.emsmusic.com/product_p/ems7578.htm

STRAVINSKY, Igor (1882-1971) – Symphony In Three Movements. SCHOTT – miniature score
    ETP0574 / orch List Price: $17.95

In the U.S. the Full score and parts are on rental only from Schott/EAMDLLC, NY., NY.

hana-parausic
    Participant

Thank you very much!

I used to be able to buy orchestral harp parts from http://www.lyramusic.com/OrchestralParts_ep_41-1.html.
    Why would Schott not want to sell individual parts? I can’t see how it violates copyright if it is being paid for. Also, if you want to show someone a fingering idea, is it allowable to send an excerpt with the fingering or the edition shown?

MusikFind1
    Participant

If any publisher only rents a work that they have under copyright, they will sell scores but not individual parts.
    Per U.S. copyright law, reproducing in any form, a part that is on rental only, is a violation.
    An orchestra librarian may not legally make a copy for a musician when your orchestra has the rental set.
    What that musician does with the part is up to them as the librarian cannot be responsible once the part is out for rehearsals and performances.

If Lyra was/is selling individual parts of works under copyright without the written permission of the publisher, those parts may not be legal.
    Example: The harp part of Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition cannot be sold in the U.S. as that arrangement has always been on rental from Boosey.
    That orchestration can be sold in all countries except France, Italy, Spain, and the U.S. due to different copyright laws.
    The Ravel arrangement is PD in Canada and the UK but not in the U.S. until 2025.

Stravinsky works become PD in Canada [1971+50 = ] Jan. 1, 2022.
    Stravinsky works become PD in the EU [1971 + 70 =] Jan 1, 2042.
    Symphony in Three Movements ©1945 becomes PD in the U.S. [1945 + 96 =] Jan. 1, 2042.
    No work by Stravinsky, published after 1923, will be PD in the U.S. until Jan. 1, 2022.

These thoughts are not my opinion but a strict interpretation of the legality under U.S. copyright law.
    Easy way to see if an orchestra part is legally for sale in the U.S.; Is it listed in the Kalmus catalog? http://www.efkalmus.com

It is possible that as a dealer, Don Henry was able to get permission from the publishers to sell parts and pay them a royalty. The excuse I get from publishers is that a part is what they call performable, so that if one bought all the individual parts, one could avoid renting. No one said they are not short sighted. We are all grateful he sold them, regardless of how he did it.
    I think one can show editing by whiting out the actual notes, or showing the edits but not the music, so one can copy it.
    Publishers allow excerpts with permission because something is omitted.
    Nevertheless, there are no parts police, and publishers know all too well we must have them ahead of time.

I think it is time that the American Federation of Musicians started lobbying for better rules regarding this. It does not make sense to me that people cannot buy an orchestra part if they need it. As a sometimes-composer myself, I would want people to have access to my music, instead of being blocked from buying it. I am curious; does anyone know the logic behind this? How does this benefit the copyright holder?

Anita Jaynes

Luck’s Music Library carries the study score for $21.00. You can order online. It would be nicer to be able to buy the part, but it’s better than nothing!

Lyra did sell the part at one time. It’s possible they had the parts made for them, perhaps with permission from the publisher, as the copyist is the same as on some other parts.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Schott has advised that the Lyra Music Edition reprint of the harp part was not legal and has been taken out of print.

Schott did give permission for the 2nd movement to be included in
    Konhauser/Storck, Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions $29.95
    “Symphony in Three Movements 2nd movement (Stravinsky)”
    Order from your harp music dealer.

Sorry Elizabeth, but the AFM, as a labor union that represents professional musicians, has no control over publishers or what music is made available.

One of my students is supposed to play two excerpts from the Stravinsky Symphony in Three Movements for her ARCT exam at the Royal Conservatory, and they are allowed to use an excerpt book, but no photocopies. However, neither Helga Storck’s book nor Sarah Bullen’s book include one of the required excerpts from the Royal Conservatory Syllabus. Helga Storck’s book has the 2nd movement from 117 to the fourth bar of 124. Sarah Bullen’s book has from 112 to 120, then from 138 to the third bar of 139, then from one bar before 172 to 177. The RCM asks for the excerpt between 132-134. I think it’s time for a phone call to the RCM.

Well, thank goodness for Don Henry’s practicality in making so much music available to us, whether legal or not! I bought this part and having it made it possible to study the entire piece and be well-prepared for auditions. They’re not losing money on it, and harpists have a unique need for advanced study, as they should well know. The best thing to do is to buy the miniature score if no one will sell the part, and copy out the harp part by hand, as that will help you learn it. The philosophy of publishers, absurd as it is, is that one could potentially buy every single part to put a set together and avoid rental fees, if they allowed the publication, and for some reason, they think that if they allow harp parts to be sold, they have to allow all parts. That may have something to do with copyright law.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics