harpcolumn

Starting the Harp…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Starting the Harp…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Liz
    Participant

Hi! So this is my first post. I am going to start the harp due to my mother’s request. I already have some experience in music (basic piano and I play bassoon) But I am excited to start harp. I will be playing the concert or pedal harp.
    Does anyone have any tips for me? What are some good method books? good harps? also i live in NYC
    thanks!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Elzbieta. Welcome! Does your mother have a harp already? If not, your best bet would be to find a teacher first, who can probably hook you up with a rental harp till you have a better idea of what you like. There are a lot of harpists in NYC, so you should be able to find someone quite easily. Here’s a link to the Harp Society teachers’ directory, but there are many more people than have listings here:

http://www.harpsociety.org/Resources/TeachersDirectory.asp

You could also contact any of the big schools/conservatories, the union, etc. to find someone.

EDIT A pedal harp is a substantial investment, not something you’d buy on a whim. You want to be sure you like playing the harp and find a harp you absolutely love before shelling out that kind of money.

Liz
    Participant

thank you barbara! My mother also has an interest in the harp, as she always has, so I will be learning first, then she will be too. If I dont like it, I will still play it anyway or she will. Also, it is quite beautiful to have!
    Ive played the harp before and I do enjoy playing it. So should I find a teacher first then discuss it with my teacher?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

You don’t have to do it that way, but for one thing teachers and other professional harpists often hear of good deals on used instruments that never make it to the open market–when someone’s student has quit and decides to sell a harp they don’t play anymore, for instance.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I would definitely recommend getting a teacher first, and start by renting. Even if you know for a fact you will stick with it, you still need to figure out what the right harp for you actually is. They are not all the same. They feel different, sound different, and have such variation that you are better off learning to play on a rental and developing an idea of what feels right to you, sounds right to you, and works best for you.

Then you can make a much better informed decision when you decide to buy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics