harpcolumn

smashed index finger

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break smashed index finger

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    harp du jour
    Participant

Gretchen, your post caught my eye this morning. I should really share my story with you (I’m about to write an essay on it for a seminar application not related to HC). I too experienced a crushed finger causing an immediate tuft fracture. It was the 3rd finger RH and I did nothing wrong to cause it other than hold on to the handle of a brass frame door that collided with a neighboring door as a man coming through it from the opposite direction exited forcefully with great speed. The two doors hit together on my hand just as it was releasing my grip. It was on Labor Day weekend at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, MO in 1980. I was due to play as a sub harpist that morning. (This is the very hotel that was the scene of a three platform atrium collapse with massive fatalities only eleven months later.)

There will come a day when you forget about this injury. Keep playing. It sounds like you’re doing all the right things.

At any rate, I was a senior in college as a harp major. Although delayed until April of 1981, my senior recital came off well. The joke here is that it was probably better than if I’d never had the injury! These things do scare the hell out of one, though, don’t they?

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.