harpcolumn

Scottish Fantasy

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Scottish Fantasy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My orchestra is performing the Scottish Fantasy by Bruch this week. I have played this piece several times over the last 3 decades, with different soloists. I have noticed that the tempo keeps getting faster every time it comes back on the program. This is not my imagination. I always pencil in the metronome marking, with the violinist’s name on it, for future reference. For example, the Finale movement used to be 96-100 to the quarter note, and this week, we are starting at 112 and speeding up from there. When it gets this fast, it becomes necessary to throw some ballast overboard. Just curious…how fast are you all playing this piece nowadays? Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to find out in advance what tempi to prepare for? (This is me venting.)

Sylvia
    Participant

I haven’t played that one, but Capriccio Espanol seems to be a competition …let’s see how fast we can play it…all over youtube. I’m sure the composer did not mean for those lovely melodies to be blurs. Last time I played it, I had to gliss the little figures in the last section just to get them in.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies