harpcolumn

Prokofiev Cinderella for harp and viola

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Prokofiev Cinderella for harp and viola

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    frances-duffy
    Participant

I have the harp part to an arrangement of Prokofiev’s Cinderella for viola and harp by Robert Bridges. It was published by RBP Music Publishers but seems to be out of print. I am trying to find the viola part. Sadly the harp part does not include the viola part as would be expected  Does anyone have this arrangement? If so, would you be willing to scan and share the viola part?

Thanks in advance!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I tried to send you a message via your website but it is not working. Miami harpist Kay Kemper and violist Scott O’Donnell played this piece in a fairly recent concert. You may want to contact them about your missing part.

I respect copyright  but in a situation in which the music is no longer published or avaiable,  it might be useful to put the score on ISLMP. Otherwise, the music could disappear forever.

frances-duffy
    Participant

Thank you!  I will definitely contact them.  I agree that it is best to respect copyright restrictions and my first action was to try and purchase a new copy. But all my sources say it is unavailable, so in this situation, I am hoping someone will share. I am continuing to try and reach the publisher, but am getting no response. in the meantime, I will try to reach Kay.

Thanks for your help!

MusikFind1
    Participant

RBC Publications/J.W. Pepper South Texas
    4415 Centerview Drive, San Antonio, TX 78228
    P.O. Box 29128, San Antonio, TX 78229
    Tel: (800) 548-0917 | Fax: (210)736-2919
    sales@rbcmusic.com
    http://www.rbcmusic.com/RBCpubcb.htm<

The Prokofiev is not listed on the website, probably due to the change in the U.S copyright law regarding Russian composers. Even though it might be POP, the arrangement is still under copyright.  Posting the music on IMSLP would not be legal. Contact J.W. Pepper to be sure of the status.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Clinton, how do you deal with music that is out-of-print and not available publicly  by any means but still under copyright? I am sure in your career this must have come up as an issue.  I am not trying to break the law, be disrespectful to a composer, or simply be too cheap to buy the music,  but sometimes this type situation causes a dilemma about performing the music or having it disappear from the harp repertoire.  No one can wait 70 years after the death of the composer  for the music to get into the public domain.

MusikFind1
    Participant

GC How do you deal with music that is out-of-print and not available publicly by any means but still under copyright? I am sure in your career this must have come up as an issue.
    CF: There is no legal way to obtain a work that is POP and still under copyright. The person/organization that owns the original printed copy may make copies for their own use but not for the use of others. Only by breaking this rule can another person obtain a copy, and on POP music that is done all the time.  I do not know of any case where a publisher tried to enforce this rule.  Have someone send you the original and then you make the copy. Do not post POP music on any public website as then the publisher can bring about a cease and desist letter.

GC I am not trying to break the law, be disrespectful to a composer, or simply be too cheap to buy the music, but sometimes this type situation causes a dilemma about performing the music or having it disappear from the harp repertoire.
    CF: If J.W. Pepper Texas cannot sell the set, then check on WorldCat where you might be able to borrow a copy from a library. There are 8 libraries that have cataloged the arrangement by Robert Bridge (b.1957-d.2009) http://blog.chron.com/artsinhouston/2009/12/robert-bridges-1957-2009/

http://www.worldcat.org/title/cinderella-suite-for-viola-and-harp/oclc/21423259&referer=brief_results”

GC  “No one can wait 70 years after the death of the composer for the music to get into the public domain.”
    CF: U.S. copyright law does not use the Death + 70 law. That is for the EU. In the U.S the basic law is (with many exceptions) “any work published after 1923” is under copyright.
    For this arrangement, the law is date of publication + 96 years = public domain. About 2104!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by MusikFind1.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by MusikFind1.
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Thank you for your clarification!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies