harpcolumn

Professional harp solo for Canon in D?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Professional harp solo for Canon in D?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

I learned a simple keyboard arrangement of this vital piece, but now I’d like (or really NEED) to learn the full version. This is the only song I ever seem to have requested for weddings, so I would love to learn the whole thing in a beautiful way for harp. I have a pedal and lever harp, so a piece that could stay in D would be best, but I by no means want a beginners arragement. Then again, since I need this piece ready on the fly, I don’t want anything crazy difficult either… Is this too much to ask? 😛

I would love any and all opinions as there are so many arrangements to choose from!

God bless you!

—Natalie

Natalie, I have the version by Susann McDonald/Linda Wood. Miss McDonald is the Distinguished Professor of Harp who has been teaching harp at the U. of Indiana in Bloomington for many years. Most brides will reach the altar well before the theme and variations (sections A through U!) are played, so you could feel free to shorten it as need be, possibly keeping the beginning and ending intact and adding as many other sections as are comfortable for you. It is in D and can be ordered online at http://www.harp.com through the Lyon and Healy West web site, catalog no. 706-390100.
    Price in 2008 was $8.00. It lies very easily under the hands of a harpist, as does another Pachelbel Canon arrangement by Phyllis Schlomovitz that I have, in C, from the same publisher, with different, interesting variations (A through M).
    Hopefully one or the other will be just right for you!

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

Either the Susann Mcdonald/ Linda Wood is great. Sylvia Woods has an easier version, but yet played by professionals.

natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

Thank you both!

I think I might get the McDonald/Wood arrangement, although I do love Sylvia Woods’ work. Practically all my sheet music is arranged by her! I use Sylvia’s Bridal March from Lohengrin for any wedding that doesn’t request Canon in D. *Laughing* I decided looooooong ago that when I walk down the aisle, I will pick a completely un-wedding song. Maybe Blackbird by the Beatles on classical guitar, something different!

I didn’t realize there were A-U sections to this piece; Pachelbel must have hit an improvising sweet spot! Maybe it could have been his Hey Jude (I’m listening to the 3 minutes of na na na nanananas right now). My teacher taught me how to shorten pieces, or extend them by repeating parts, so I’m sure I could manage picking a few of the favorite “letters”. I really do need to learn the entire piece for experiences sake.

Thank you again, God bless you!

— Natalie

Tacye
    Participant

There is a rather fun 2nd harp part to the McDonald/Wood version too – I think you buy it separately.

natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

I looked at that too! I don’t have a second harpist friend to play it with though, so for now I just ordered the solo Canon in D arranged by McDonald/Wood. I hope it comes in soon! Thank you all again.

Alison
    Participant

Several of my students want to play solo Canon in D before they are ready for it, as like any arrangement of a classical piece the fingering and progressions are not trivial. The first was also a guitarist, more mature and she persevered and mastered the Sylvia Woods arrangement for her cousin’s wedding. The second was pestered by her mother who had this at her own wedding, and once the student had explored it enough she dropped it. Now I have a student who wants to learn by strings and ear, as with ASD he struggles and refuses to read music. Knowing how much richer this sounds with a full bowed strings and continuo instrumentation I think we could enjoy this much more as a duet, with improvisations and with some sections played in canon mode.

Alison
    Participant

Only now that I have listened to BBC’s comprehensive Composer of the week, 5 hours of radio dedicated to Pachelebel’s life story, the overlap with the Bach clan, and all his many other works, plus many jazzed up and amusing performances of this Canon, including some pop songs, can I now contemplate enjoying it and improvising to make it fun for the current pupil and hopefully myself !!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies