harpcolumn

Offrande by Tournier–Question!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Offrande by Tournier–Question!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    balfour-knight
    Participant

What I meant to say was “the pedal position makes the C flat when you play the C string” and you just accept that without trying to play the B string. I hope this makes sense, now!

carl-swanson
    Participant

A few years ago I was visiting Marie-Claire Jamet at her home in southern France. I asked her what it was like to study with Tournier(she was in his last class). She said that he could be “peau de vache” literally “cow hide” meaning he was difficult. She said that if he assigned an etude to the class and, when you were called to play it, you couldn’t play it perfectly from memory, then for the following class you had to play the entire etude, from memory, transposed a 5th away!!! “I only had to do it once!” she told me.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

This is a wonderful thread! I’ve learned so many things from reading the posts on this website!

I just played “Offrande” again on my Salvi semi-grand (long absence since playing this piece). I have a copy of Carl’s copy of this music which has his markings, so I’ve never had any trouble with it. What a glorious piece yet not difficult to play, and it sounded extra beautiful on my Salvi, with its depth of tone and bell-like quality.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Jerusha- Where did you get a copy of my version of the Offrande? Did I send you a copy? Just curious. Gosh, maybe I can get that piece into the standard repertoire. And also the Eternal Dreamer. If you haven’t heard it, you’re going to melt when you do.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Carl,
    Do you have an edition of The Eternal Dreamer that you would share? I cannot seem to find mine–probably lost in a move or lent to a student who did not return it!

Thanks, and it is so good to read all the posts from everyone!
    Balfour

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Yes, you sent a copy to me! Thank you for doing that for me!

I am mindful of the ethical need to pay for music rather than using xeroxed copies; however, this particular piece is in the public domain now, if I’m not mistaken.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Balfour- The Eternal Dreamer is one of the movements from a collection called Au Hazard des Ondes, and is subtitled A New Collection of Images, or A Collection of New Images, I can’t remember which. Each movement is named after a different country and there are two movements for France, the first of which is The Eternal Dreamer.

Let me look at my copy tomorrow and see if it is in fact in the public domain. Tournier died around 1951 I believe. So I would think it is.

Jerusha- I had forgotten about that. But I’m glad I did it and glad you have enjoyed playing it.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I think that I have a CD that has “Eternal Dreamer” on it, played by Kirk Kupensky. I need to listen to it again and will pay special attention to that piece.

<<Jerusha- I had forgotten about that. But I’m glad I did it and glad you have enjoyed playing it.>> Thanks, dear. It’s wonderful. I wish that more composers wrote music like it–so transcendent!

balfour-knight
    Participant

I enjoyed listening to The Eternal Dreamer on YouTube last evening. It is indeed gorgeous, Carl! I know I had it in a collection, but I cannot put my hands on it. I guess it is “old age” setting in, ha, ha! I have been retired from teaching for over two years, now, and I did give my last remaining students a lot of my music, to neaten up this little house. Now I wish I had some of that music back–it always happens! 🙂

Best regards to all of you, and thanks for helping make this a stimulating forum,
    Balfour

Alison
    Participant

the convention is to draw a small circle around notes which are played on the adjacent string, that’s the reminder.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Yes, Alison, and make sure it is in RED, ha, ha!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Some friends and I were discussing how to pronounce Tournier. Since none of us are French, we came up with at least three different pronunciations–Turn-year, Tone-yay, Turn-yeh. Does anyone know what is the most acceptable version in English?

Thanks in advance!

Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

This made me curious. I went to http://www.howtopronounce.com. There are 3 voice prompts. The spelled out pronunciation is “tour nyr.”

carl-swanson
    Participant

Well, I do speak French, and my pronunciation would be something like Toournyay, with the slightest possible pronunciation of the r. And Balfour, I apologize that I haven’t sent you that music yet. I’ve been so busy. I’ll try to do it next week.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks so much, Gretchen and Carl! I will share this information with my friends. Carl, I can’t wait to get The Eternal Dreamer and play it again. It is so lovely!

Best regards,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.