harpcolumn

New wire harp!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories New wire harp!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Allison Stevick
    Participant

Here’s a little update about my actual wire harp–
    I decided to inlay 2 stones on the front of the pillar, with silver settings. The green is chalcedony, and the white is rainbow moonstone. The moonstone has a lot of blue fire in it, and it’s lovely (they look better in person is what I’m saying. haha!)
    I’m quite pleased with the outcome. 🙂

http://www.harpcolumn.com/members/allison-stevick/media/

Biagio
    Participant

Really pretty Allison! You certainly are making this one your own, and that is good to my eyes to see. Somehow I seem to play better when the harp is “me” and I am “it”.

If I’m not mistaken you found a broach and earring…at least that is my plan (grin). The 26 does not have a name yet, I’m thinking it will come to me when some stones have been added. It has a tiger eye agate in the front yet needs a bit more, I’m not sure what until she’s been played some more.

BUT…decided to do a little 22 string clarsach and she will have a name: “Gwalchmai” – the Hawk of May:-)

Had one of that name once, a double 18, but gave it away. Glad I did, so now the name is free again!

Blessings all,
    Biagio

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thanks, Biagio!
    I’m interested in seeing your 26 once it’s done. I love seeing what people do to personalize their instruments. (Of course, yours are completely personalized, since you make them, too…)
    Gwalchmai is a cool name. What language is it from? I’m thinking that my harp will probably end up with something Scots-Gaelic since it was in Scotland that I fell in love with wire. But, we’ll see what happens after more playing.

About finding a brooch and earring– I actually bought all the components separately, but you’re right that they are absolutely the type of stones and settings that would be used in a brooch. 🙂

And now I’m off to tune again!

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Allison,

“Gwalchmai” or “Gwalchmei” is Welsh; in Aturian legend also the name given to Sir Gawain. Wikipedia has this to say about the figure:

Gawain is often portrayed as a formidable, courteous, and also a compassionate warrior, fiercely loyal to his king and family. He is a friend to young knights, a defender of the poor, and as “the Maidens’ Knight”, a defender of women as well. In some works, his strength waxes and wanes with the sun; in the most common form of this motif, his might triples by noon, but fades as the sun sets.

Sounds about right for a small but powerful harp:-)

Cheers,
    Biagio

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Cool!

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Well, I just bit the bullet and made a short video of myself playing this harp. I’ve been kind of avoiding it, because I’m such a beginner and I don’t really have the proper technique down yet. I also like to have things as polished as possible before sharing this is definitely not polished! I had the harp pretty well tuned when I started, but after a few tries–in a different, slightly colder room to where it was tuned– it kind of started to go out a little. Oh well. Enough of my justifications, here is a bit of what it sounds like. Have I mentioned that I love this harp? I do. I promise it sounds better in person. 😉

Biagio
    Participant

Really lovely Allison, no one would guess you had only been playing this harp a short while! Love the tune too – one I do a lot. I like to do a little medley: Baloo Baleree for putting the kid to sleep, Bonny at Morn for the wake up. Nice simple tunes really sound good on a wire!

Biagio

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thanks, Biagio! I’ll have to learn Baloo Baleree to go along with it then. 🙂
    I do love how the slow, simple tunes can just ring out. It’s been peaceful in the evenings here while I practice them.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello, Allison!

That was absolutely beautiful! (What Biagio said, too!) Thanks so much for letting us see and hear you play this gorgeous harp. My sweet wife said “it sounds so Medieval and wonderful!” Now if we can get Mae to do the same thing!!!????

All the best to you,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

randal
    Participant

Allison – the harp sounds just beautiful!

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thanks, Balfour and Randal! I love how this harp sounds, too. As I’ve gotten better at keeping it in tune, I just don’t want to put it down! (Though, of course, the rest of life calls anyway-haha)
    I’m just dying to hear Mae’s double, too! I should probably get started on mine soon… 🙂

Katia
    Participant

Having been away for a good while– long story– I am now in love with the wire harp all over again! Lovely instrument, and lovely video, Allison!

Did I mention I have this problem of always wanting my own of every new instrument I meet?

Oops, I’m sorry, did I accidentally post under your account? LOL. (Glad I’m not the only one with this affliction.)

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thanks, Katia! Glad you’re back.
    And LOL–yeah, I’m glad I’m not the only one as well. 🙂

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Hi all- I’ve been working on Baloo Baleerie for a little while and made another video. I promise I won’t post every video I make on this thread–haha– but as this one is directly related to Biagio’s suggestion, I’m sharing. I hope you all had a good weekend!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Very nice, Allison! I love to hear anything you post, and you are learning the wire-strung technique very well (coming from someone who does not play the wire-strung, ha, ha!)

Have a great day!
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.