harpcolumn

need info. on Triplett harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories need info. on Triplett harps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I could use information on this brand of harp!

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Maria,

Triplett Harps are very good harps.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

“if you would like to talk to them questions directly”.

Sorry about that Maria.

I have a Triplett Christina which I love.

I am a pedal harpist, but I also have a Troubadour lever harp. I played several (3 I think) different models of Triplett floor harps. I can’t tell you which they were, and I also played a Dusty 36 string harp on the same day in the same room. The Dusty was much stronger sounding and had more tension in the strings. To me the Tripletts felt “too loose” but of course I am a pedal harpist, so that is probably why. The Dusty had a much warmer tone…..and that could’ve been that particular harp too…..but I didn’t care for any of the Tripletts………and that is just my opinion. I’ve heard Tripletts played on other occasions that sounded quite nice.

Briggs

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

The Harp Studio – Harps

If you are interested, Meredith Kohn Bocek has two Tripletts on sale now. One I believe is gently used. I have seen and played both. The wood grain is stunning, and they have an amazing sound. You will find Mere very pleasant to deal with, and willing to answer your questions. But they are an exceptionally good deal right now, and worth your checking into . Click on “used harps”, as well as “Triplett” to see them both, and call Meredith if you want info on Tripletts. Good Luck in your search.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you, everyone, for responding!

Sherj,

barbara-low
    Participant

I own a Triplett Eclipse in maple and would say it has a bright, full Celtic sound. I can’t say how it projects in comparison to a Dusty Strings, but when I played for a wedding on a mountain, my family could hear it while hiking on a trail quite a distance from where I was situated. We were all pretty amazed.

In comparison to a pedal harp with higher tension, I would place the tension at medium. I don’t believe the tension is lighter than a Dusty. The eyelets are equally spaced on the center strip of the soundboard, so the bass strings will feel closer together, which has not been a problem for me.

meredith-kohn-bocek
    Participant

Hi,

I have been playing Tripletts since the mid 90’s and find them to be beautiful harps with a full, robust tone with

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Hi Maria,

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

I have a 34 string Triplett Sierra in walnut and I love it! I have the
    wheels set into the case and it is very easy to move (I have rehearsals
    2 – 3 times a week). Another member of my ensemble has a 36 string
    Dusty in walnut and she says my harp in its case with the wheels
    is lighter than her harp in its case. I’m short and have a bad back, so
    it is a blessing for me to be able to roll it. When my husband offers
    to move it for me, he just carries the whole thing. The sound is
    different from the Dusty, but not louder/softer. I find the bass
    strings on mine to be a little more “wire” sounding than the Dusty, but
    then, it is only six months old, so not fully developed in sound yet,
    either. I have been told by people listening to the group as a whole
    that they can pick out the sound of my harp, but that its voice blends
    well with the others. Others in this case include Dustys, Witchers, and
    a Stoney End.

My two cents,

Leigh

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Leigh,

I’m so glad to read your enthusiastic comments on the Sierra 34.

I’m 43 years old and live in Gouda (you know, where that cheese comes from!) the Netherlands and I’m a complete beginner. I’m renting a Triplett Nylon 30 at the moment and I’m teaching myself how to play the harp with Sylvia Woods book and dvd and another basic harp book by Laura Riley (the latter has less boring excercises than Woods I must say), and I’m starting to get hooked on the sound of the harp.

I am thinking of buying a Sierra, either a 34 or a 36. I drive an old Opel Corsa ‘Swing’, which is rather small but a Sierra should fit in, which is very important as I want to play for my 80 year old father who lives in Amsterdam.

If you have any other useful information on this harp or about Triplett in general, I would love to hear from you. Here in the Netherlands I do not know anyone (yet) who owns a Triplett, except the lady who deals in them ofcourse!

Harp greetings,

Martine.

Barbara Evenson
    Participant

I have a Triplett Signature in cherry, and not only is it beautiful to look at, it has a very big, full, rich sound.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hello Martine,

Welcome to the harp world! Many harps, Sierra included, when going from 34 to 36 strings, add the strings at the top. Mine goes up to the A and I have only had to use it once. I have never had a piece of music go higher than my harp will go. They both go down to the same C (two octaves below middle C). For this reason, I decided to go with the 34 rather than a 36 string harp.

I strongly believe in having a full set of strings on hand all the time. When I break one, I have one to put on right away and order its replacement within a week. (That is not to say I have broken a lot of strings, but I did do the dumb thing I said I never would do – I was plucking one string and tightening the one next to it!)

The people I have emailed and spoken with at the company have always been friendly and courteous. Triplett also has the seven year warranty, just in case!

I wish you all the best in choosing which harp you want.
    Happy harping!
    Leigh

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Leigh,

Thank you for your reaction and honest advice ! I have made a choice and ordered a Sierra 36, mainly because it has a slightly larger soundbox (I have a minor hearing problem in my right ear since a year ago) than the 34.

As I (already!) broke the top ‘A’ string from the harp I’m renting at present, I’ll make sure to have spare strings with me at all times in the future…

In the meantime I’m practising almost every day for about 20 minutes with Sylvia Woods on dvd and a beginner’s harp playing book from Laurie Riley. It’s fun but hard at the same time, but wow what a sound…Do you know how long it takes before the sound of a new Triplett has matured ?

The Triplett dealer here in the Netherlands (dealer for Europe) has been ever so helpfull and friendly too.The lady, called Ans, sells them from her lovely home in Mijdrecht where I will be picking up my Sierra within about 6 weeks from now ( I ordered it 2 weeks ago) It is walnut with maple like yours.. You can ofcourse imagine how excited I am. It is like waiting for a loved one! A treasure from a far and exotic place.

I’m 43 years old now and I have more patience and discipline than twenty years ago, and I wish I had that then. A late starter but hey, beter late than never, right ?

Happy harping to you too!

Martine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies