harpcolumn

MuScore questions

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break MuScore questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anyone here use MuScore?  Just wondering if anyone has figured out ways to indicate lever changes or brackets for fingering other than writing them in after printing. I know how to do it in Finale Notepad but I’m finding that there are a number of things I prefer about MuScore.  Thanks!

Andelin
    Participant

I also use musescore.  For the fingering brackets, someone posted that question a few months ago and there is an answer on that thread.  I haven’t figured out how to indicate lever changes. It depends somewhat on how you want that to look.  You can add F# in between the staves by adding text (click “add” select “text” in drop down menu, then staff text) but if you want a diamond shaped note in the staff itself, I haven’t figured that out. I have been writing them in.  Someday I might experiment with using a separate part, but then you run into placing issues.  Perhaps we can bring this problem up to musescore creators and they will create a solution.  🙂

good luck!  Hope this helps.

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I’ve actually been playing around with adding lever changes and searched google, and here’s how I finally discovered how to do it…

1. Select the rest in the bass clef where you want the lever change indicated

2. In the top menu bar, click Add > Text > Staff Text

3. In the options bar that then comes up at the bottom of the screen, click on the far left icon with the alpha symbol. It says “insert special characters”. (Or you can hit F2.)

4. Click on the “Musical Symbols” tab

5. Scroll down the list on the left to “Shape Note Noteheads” to find the diamond shape.  (There is also a bigger diamond in the list called “Slash Noteheads” that you can use if you like them bigger–I’m still trying to decide which will end up looking best on printed paper. The smaller one looks more normal, but the larger one is very easy to see.)

6. Click and drag the diamond onto your bass clef where you want it.

7. Repeat the same process above to add the natural sign, sharp, or flat in front of your diamond.  (Those accidental symbols are under the “Common Symbols” tab.

Happy composing!

-Jodi

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

So I’ve been playing more with brackets and this is what I’ve come up with.  I use the “first ending” bracket and then double click it and drag to make it the length I want.  Then right click on it to edit line properties and I decrease the size of the hooks and delete the “1.”

I hope this makes sense.  I’ve attached a picture of a sample.

Then to add fingerings, I use the fingerings  given in the palettes menu just to drag and drop the appropriate number onto the note I want.

Hope this helps!

-Jodi

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

That’s awesome.  So far I’ve just been writing lever changes in as text ie. Fn3 but this will help a ton!  The brackets look great too!  I tried looking through the MuScore forums but there wasn’t anything there.

Debbie
    Participant

Thank you! This is so helpful.

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

Just an update… I’ve found a MUCH better way to show bracketing. The way I described above can work fine, but it doesn’t allow for notes rising or falling that would need a slanted bracket line. So here’s how to do a more versatile bracket.

1. Under “Lines” select the plain, straight line.

2. Drag the straight line over the first note you want to bracket to “attach” the line.

3. Double click on the line and drag one of the boxes on the ends of the line to move it up or down to create the amount of slant that you want.

4. Right click on the line and select “line properties”, then check the boxes to put a hook on each end of the line.

5. Drag and resize the line to be whatever length and slant you’d like!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics