harpcolumn

Just wanted to mention

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Just wanted to mention

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

that I took possession of a Wurlitzer C restored by Howard Bryan about half an hour ago.

How’s that for making a simple statement about something that I’m so excited with that I would like to scream?

I had to stop tuning it because I was sweating so that I was afraid I’d drip on the gilding.

It is incredibly beautiful. I’ve only seen the famous Wurlitzer tiger maple in pictures but I think mine but be a really good example. Then of course, maybe everyone feels that way. I hope so.

My C (gosh it feels good to say that!) has a relatively low serial number, so it’s one of the earlier, more ornate versions.

Yes, I only wish I’d started 55 or so years ago, but in this case, I’m thinking better late than never. I’m certainly not going to abandon my 85P but wow, am I looking forward to practicing the Wurlitzer this afternoon!

diana-day
    Participant

Congratulations! Can you post a picture? I corresponded with Howard Bryan about a Wurlitzer before I got my Salvi Arion and still wish I could have bought both. Please tell us more about your harp!

Charles
    Participant

Congratulations Sherry!

“I had to stop tuning it because I was sweating so that I was afraid I’d drip on the gilding”- Well good greif LOL!

But I know what you mean I work up a sweat everytime I tune especially in this heat.

I can’t wait to see pictures of Your New Harp!

Charles

kay-lister

Sherry – YEA!!!!!!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Wonderful news, Sherry!!

Is it a straight sound board or extended?

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Having just recently heard a Wurlitzer for the first time, I can understand your excitement. Congratulations!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

It’s a straight board with a warm tone. The carving and gilding are very GRAHND but the board decoration is a very simple outline of the board with a little turn back on itself at each of the corners. SO PRETTY!

I loved the Arion when it came out, but my teacher’s Salvi has a very tiny space between the neck and the highest strings, so I was afraid it wouldn’t work with my hand.

This harp came with the original case, which weighs about as much as a small family room. My husband could handle the C easily after having lugged the 85P around, but the case is huge! It has what I guess is the original Wurlitzer logo on the side. Definitely part of the fun!

I was able to practice much on it today because it’s still not stable in pitch, but I’m looking forward to doing at least some of my lesson practicing on it tomorrow.

I have a couple excellent pictures already, so once I figure out how to post them I will do so. For now, back to tuning……….:)!

deb-l
    Participant

Sherry, I looked up pictures of a Wurlitzer C and they are drop dead gorgeous.

howard-bryan
    Participant

A couple of technical observations on Sherry’s harp:

It has the original soundboard, and has been strung with light gauge strings that match the original specifications for a Wurlitzer harp.

kay-lister

So Sherry . . . where are these pictures?

Given my recent experience with three different 1911 Lyon & Healy string gauges, I don’t see how one can declare definitively that there was but one way of stringing harps until 1935.

howard-bryan
    Participant

A couple of things worth mentioning on the old string gauges, some of which I wrote on another forum:

1) The original gauges are made of riveted brass.

Leslie Davis
    Participant

Oh, how wonderful!

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Wow, Sherry, that is wonderful! I haven’t been on here for a while and I guess I have been missing a lot because of that! Definitely need to see pictures!

jan-fetty
    Participant

If the harp you purchased is the one he had in his living room – it is awesome, not only in looks, but sound.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.