harpcolumn

Ideas on beautiful harp solos for juries

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Ideas on beautiful harp solos for juries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Hello all,

I am currently minoring in music at college and I am trying to think about what would be some beautiful pieces to play for juries in a few months. Last year I played Impromptu Caprice by Gabriel Faure and Feerie by Marcel Tournier. I absolutely loved both these pieces and was hoping to get suggestions for another drop-dead gorgeous solo!

The only harpist on the juries is my harp teacher, so the piece doesn’t have to be insanely difficult. I would like something that sounds semi-advanced and very pretty since I will have to be working at it for a while, like Song in The Night by Carlos Salzedo which was unfortunately played last year by the other harpist. If anyone knows something with a modal sound to it, that would be even better.

Thanks again for any help provided!

You would probably like to do some Tournier Noels or one of his easy Images.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Saul, which of the Noels are “hard enough” for a jury?

I can’t answer that. What is the context? What year, what level, what program, what school, what expectations? Playing musically is always important, and showing progress. One should probably have a short, fast display piece and something longer and more complicated for a jury.

Autumn Wind in the Trees by Sue Rothstein (from Dream Studies) is lovely and not too difficult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqze7S-MZSI is the video.
    Songs of Nymphs by Marjan Mozetich is drop-dead gorgeous. There are four movements, but there are some sections that are very difficult.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies