harpcolumn

ideas for Canons

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp ideas for Canons

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

I have only discovered a few canons in harp music- the loveliest one is in the 2nd movement of the Concierto Serenata para Arpa y Orquesta by Rodrigo and the trickiest seems to be in the Sonata in C by Pescetti.  Have you introduced this idea into teaching and can you cite some examples or exercises, please ? They can be quite challenging to learn and focus the brain. Alison

wil-weten
    Participant

I like Christoph Pampuch’s two albums with circle songs:

• Blaue Diamanten (this album contains circle songs which can be played as duets).
    • Die zersauste Libelle

You can find  examples of these albums on his site. The explanations in the albums are in German.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Adagios by Kathryn Cater has an excellent canon. It is Canon in G by Klingenberg.  Can be played as a solo or a round.  The book is baroque and classical pieces arranged at the intermediate level. Kathryn is a wonderful composer and arranger. The book is available printed or as a PDF at http://www.folkharp.com.

allegra
    Spectator

Not a suggestion, sorry, but a request – I love the Tallis canon (used in a variety of hymn settings, eg., Glory to Thee My God This Night, but also in campfire songs and so on). I ‘ve heard some lovely arrangements of it for choirs, chamber groups, etc, but never harp, and wondered if anyone had come across an arrangement of it – not just the simple canon, as obvious that’s fairly straightforward, but a much more involved and interesting arrangement that uses the canon (e.g., version by Libera boys choir, might even have a harp in it, but not solo).

susanne globisch
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I uploaded some of Christoph Pampuch’s Circle Songs on YouTube, always in two voices like they are meant to be played (they work as solo pieces as well, but in fact they are designed as Canons). If you want to listen to it, here’s the link to my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBf4xbUNCA9wfeMThFH1NNA

The description under the videos is in german and in english.

I uploaded these pieces because here in Germany there seem to be still a lot of harp teachers who believe that only classical music is “real” music, and therefore don’t let their students play Mr Pampuch’s tunes. Needless to say that I don’t think so! I find these pieces stunnigly beautiful, and if you want to play them as a Canon, both harpists must really have practiced well and play in time, so it’s really great for teaching as well.

Question: is “in two voices” the correct english expression for playing harp in a Duo with myself as shown in the video? Thanks for feedback!!

Probably I will soon upload some tutorials on how to record oneself in two voices (or how to create one’s own backing track to play along with it when practicing). I always encourage my students to form Duos or Harp Circles, but sometimes this is difficult (not enough time, difficulties with transporting the harps…) – so I want to show an easy method to practice playing together when you are on your own!

You can order the Circle Song books at Christoph’s Web shop (no, I don’t get percentage for it, I’m just a big fan of his music 😉  English site:

http://harpamundi.de/shop/index.php?language=en&MODsid=2baaa311d04ec0295f35b36d4dbd4c9a

If you need the explanations in the book in english, just go ahead and ask him – maybe he will even make an english version, who knows!

Have fun – and please help me with the “in two voices” question….

Thanks and best wishes from Germany,

Susanne Globisch

Andelin
    Participant

Susanne,

To your question about two voices–in my opinion, this is a good way to describe what you have done.  It may not be the only way, and perhaps there is a slightly more accurate description (although nothing comes to mind right away), but personally, I really like it.

I also want to say that I would love to see a tutorial on how to record yourself in two tracks.  If you do make a tutorial, please post about it here so I can watch it.  😉

susanne globisch
    Participant

will do!

It might still take some 2-3 weeks, but I’ll do an english version and post it here!

yours, Susanne

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Susanne, I really enjoyed watching your videos on YouTube. The photography is excellent and so is your playing. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel
    Participant

What is the name of the Circle Song book on the website? I couldn’t locate it just now.

susanne globisch
    Participant

Hi Rachel,

there are two song books:

1. Blaue Diamenten (= Blue Diamonds) – pieces and arrangements easier, and

2. Die zerzauste Libelle (= The Tousled Dragonfly) – longer pieces, slightly more advanced

on this website #1 and#6 from top:

http://harpamundi.de/shop/index.php?cPath=7

susanne globisch
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I already uploaded the tutorials in german, and the english version will come soon! It’s just that the tutorials got much longer than I expected, so it’s a lot to translate, but I’m at it!

Yours,

Susanne

Allegra, above: The Tallis Canon as a simple intermediate level harp accompaniment is included as No. 19, (titled I Heard The Voice of Jesus Say) in the 21 hymns of the collection Herald Music published in 2000 entitled Familiar Hymns With a Friend. It includes a CD with all harp parts played by the noted UK harpist Danielle Perrett. This work is available from the online string catalogue of Vanderbilt Music, Inc., Distributor. It is performed with solo instrument such as violin, flute, or oboe, or string quartet; all parts are included; no text, key of e minor; 23 measures. Can also just use the harp part to accompany one voice, or a choir. No pedals or levers used throughout.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies