harpcolumn

Harping as a Mom

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Harping as a Mom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hannah White
    Participant

Hello harp world! I am a new mom and would appreciate tips and insights on how you squeeze in harp practice etc. without having as much dedicated free time to do so!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Hannah, many congratulations on becoming a new mother. Check out the latest issue of Harp Column for the article Balancing Act by Megan Metheney and/or listen to the Megan Metheney Podcast #23.

Hannah White
    Participant

Thank you! Found it and giving it a listen.

balfour-knight
    Participant

This is a wonderful article! I don’t know how you moms do it! Congratulations to all of you!

OK. So, I’m really new at the mom thing, too. My girl is just over 6 months. Then first few months, I got nothing done. Then once they start sleeping a little longer, you can get them to bed around 7 or 8 and have a few hours. I don’t always use them for practice, but I try to.

Are you staying home or working? I can put the portable play yard next to the harp since she is now mobile and will get into trouble unless supervised. If she’s in the play yard, I can get about 20 minutes here and there before she gets bored.

Do you live with someone who can take the baby for a half hour once a day? You’ll be surprised how much you can get done when you plan a little ahead what you want to practice.

She takes longer naps now, so I can practice then, too. It’s not the same hour and a half of time I used to have, but it’s something…

Congrats!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, everyone! Alyson, it was good to see your post. We love having new neighbors who have a two-year-old baby boy. We get to play “grandparents” to this wonderful, cute little child, and we think it does give his sweet parents some rest and variety in their busy schedules.

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Hannah White
    Participant

Alyson, thanks for the tips! It sounds very similar to what I’ve done 🙂 The playpen is such a help for short amounts of time. I am home, which does give me more flexibility, although it isn’t always easy. I am working on trying to get into a routine of keeping a running list of harp music/exercises/projects to go straight to when I do have free time, and ranking them by how much time I would need to dedicate to them to get the most profit. That way I can know if I have 10 min or 30 min. which musical aspect of harp I can go straight to and get something accomplished throughout the day!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Hannah White.

Hanna, you’re doing better than me, then! I just have a list of pieces I’m working on (trying to get up wedding repertoire for freelancing while at home with baby). I’d love to know more about your system!

The only thing I wish I could do more is play for a long time. If I was hired for background music, I’m not sure what my stamina is!

Hi Balfour! We need some surrogate grandparents who live next door. That sounds wonderful!

Hannah White
    Participant

Alyson, I think you’re doing a great job readjusting to your new stage in life. It’s wonderful that you have a goal you’re working towards! I always find it useful when I have a clear one. Right now mine is arranging hymns for the harp, keeping up my current skill, and slowly learning new pieces- but being very flexible about it!

I’ve attached a really basic draft of what I’m trying to do.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Hannah White.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.