harpcolumn

Harp Dog and Pony Show

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp Dog and Pony Show

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

What is you favorite Harp Dog and Pony show ? I have given many programs to various clubs, social groups, and school children. I usually explain the structure of the harp, harp through the ages, sound effects and and play a few fun pieces from the repertoire. When you give a lecture demo what is your favorite piece to play and what was your most memorable experience?

kreig-kitts

I’ve never been to a show of that sort. I wouldn’t let a dog I didn’t know too close to my harp, let alone a pony.

WOW I didn’t know I was so unusual, I guess performing to the general public has made me more friendly to non musicians and the harp-less animals of the world. Maybe I have been playing in orchestras too long and have learned to make music with even the most cantankerous of animals. ; 0

Some of my best memories of demonstrating the harp have been to small children who have never been exposed to it before. To see a child light up when getting to play a glissando or get to be “the star” for a moment is very rewarding. I also enjoy playing for the elderly and the sick who are very grateful for the opportunity to hear beautiful music and have a bit of grace and elegance in their day. You never know how your harp performance can affect someone or make their day. I have also met some wonderful people while giving such a program. Regarding dogs and ponies, I can only say you don’t know what you are missing. My dogs are usually at my feet when I am practicing and offer the occasional yawn or grunt of approval for my entertainment. In fact my dogs are better than a lot of people I know! I guess I was hoping to hear some interesting and amusing stories from other professionals who are out there sharing their harp in the real world.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I suppose by your definition every concert I have done in the last 10 years has been a ‘dog and pony show.’ Another term would be a lecture-recital, although that sound too high faloutin.

When I do a solo recital(2 halves, each 35 minutes or so long with intermission) there is a printed program, but I also talk about each piece I’m about to play. I do this because the audience in all likelyhood has never heard any of the pieces on my program and without the verbal introduction the whole program would be for them a wash of pleasant harp sounds that they would forget as soon as the program was over. By talking about each piece they have just enough information to listen, and want to listen, actively. This makes a huge difference, and the most meaningful compliments that I get after the program are when people come up to me at the reception and tell me which piece was their favorite. I gave a concert like this in Florida a year ago, and after the program this big strapping 20 year old football player type of guy came up to me and extended this bear paw of a hand for me to shake. “Oh man, that was awsome!” he said. Dumbfounded, I asked him if there was a particular piece that he liked. “That Spanish piece” he said with no hesitation. He was referring either to Viejho Zortzico of Guiridi or Lolita the Danser of Tournier(which sounds Spanish). I wasn’t sure which and didn’t press the issue.

Another time I gave a similar program for the Long Island Chapter of the Harp Society, and the audience consisted of a large bunch of kids sitting on the floor(this was in someones house) with assorted parents and adults seated around the periphery. After the program was over and everyone was gone, the chapter president, whose house this was in, looked at me wide eyed and said “Those kids were absolutely silent through the whole program! You had them hypnotized.”

The point of all this is that it is critically important for all musicians to engage more with the audience, since many of them know little or nothing about classical music, and specifically about what we(harpists) play. A friend of mine got his doctorate from Eastman in ‘cello and he said that they were told constantly there to do the same thing.

My own rules for the talking part are: keep the comments short, no more than 2 minutes maximum for each piece. Keep them light and conversational in tone, and if possible weave some humor or jokes into the talk. My model for all of this is an Opera singer named J.B. Ward who does a program called STAND UP OPERA. If you can find the CD, get it. She’s fantastic. She talks about each aria she sings and she’s very very funny. Then she sings the aria straight, with a gorgeous voice and beautiful musicianship. I love that combination.

Oh, and to answer your original question, I don’t have a favorite piece for this type of thing. They’re all my favorites.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I find doing programs like this to be a breath of fresh air in my schedule.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Diane- I think that’s wonderful that you play gigs in places like that. I think music, and our harp music in particular takes on a completely new dimension for the audience and for us the players under those circumstances.

On the subject of talking about the pieces before playing them: avoid generalizations, like”this is one of my favorite pieces,” or “I just love the harmonies in this piece.” Instead, give them something specific to listen for. I usually program 3 movements from Ravel’s Mother Goose Suite. Everybody, but particularly the children in the audience, love the second movement, LITTLE TOM THUMB(Petit Poucette). I tell them the story of the little boy lost in the woods and how Ravel characterizes that in the music. Children are enthralled by that one in particular. I have a Bach Gigue that I may put on a program sometime, and if I do, I’ll tell the audience that Bach tricks us into thinking that we are hearing a melody, a counter melody, and chords in this piece when in fact, from the first note to the last, you are never hearing more than one note at a time. That’s all they need to be told to want to listen actively to the piece. And I agree, my favorite piece is the one I’m playing at the moment.

Whenever I play a harp lecture / demo I try to tailor my remarks to the type of audience I have. If I am playing at a nursing home or for the local chapter of a social club I will keep my remarks brief and hopefully entertaining. If I am playing for a group of harpists, I will get very involved in my remarks and engage them musically and technically on a much deeper level.

I try to pick repertoire that suits their age and interests. When I play for children I love to engage their imaginations and ask them what they thought about and what they felt when they heard the music.”Chanson dans la Nuit” is always a winner for that very reason. I always explain the sound effects before I play it and then ask if they heard them in the piece. I try to balance my programs with both serious repertoire and some lighter fare and maybe something quite fun. Most audiences don’t care about your extensive knowledge of harp repertoire but want to get a glimpse of your personality as a performer. I have found that being genuinely enthusiastic about your program invites your audience into your performance in a most authentic way.

One of my young students performed at Duke Chapel this morning and her mother told me that a 4 year old handicapped boy in a wheelchair and his grandfather approached her after the concert. She explained a few facts about the harp, played twinkle twinkle and invited him to make a “glis”.

He was absolutely radiant and beamed to his grandfather that he loved it.

The grandfather mentioned to the mother of my student that he had watched several other harpists but no one had ever invited him to come near the harp much less allow him to touch it. He was impressed that my student was so naturally accepting of him and willing to take a few moments to “make his day”. I did not teach my student to do this, it came to her naturally as she is a great kid. I bet that little boy will always have a great feeling about the harp and harp music. I bet the grandfather will never forget the kindness of a young harpist to his grandson.

Performing for the general public is always a great opportunity for sharing our beautiful instrument.

You just never know how you might touch someone and truly make their day!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Smiffy! Hope you are well.

I played at a Kindegarten recently (kids 3-4) and one of the highlights for the kids was Butterfly gig…the traditional Irish tune. Actually all the Kimmy Robertson ones got over well with kids (and adults) they have a popular and dreamy quality.

goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

I know this is a very old post, but I love sharing whatever I’m doing with children & handicapped kids, the most.
    Our younger son has epilepsy & psychosis. In school, He struggled; in college,he learned he was dyslexic. Add dysgraphia & ADHD & you’ll see that we were juggling while on fire!
    But, his experiences have changed my life.
    And he’s passionate about music.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
    Work gloves home depot

james smith
    Participant

We offer meticulously designed modern handmade handbags with quality material. Buy designer handbags, leather iPhone covers & tote bags at our online store.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.