harpcolumn

Guitar strings on my beginner harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Guitar strings on my beginner harp

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    poetic harpist
    Participant

Hi

I’ve been playing the guitar for 20 years. I started playing the harp 7 weeks ago and I’m really enjoying it; I hope to go far with it.

I rent a small beginner’s harp from my local musical club. I didn’t like the way the lower bass strings were dark in colour — I wanted them nice and white so I could easily distinguish them from the Red’s and Black’s.

My local music store only had guitar strings, so the shop owner and I used a vernier calipers to check the gauge of the strings already on the harp, and then we tried to find the most similar guitar ones. I think the one’s we used were ‘wound nylon’ for the lower bass notes.

The new guitar strings on my harp sound and play fine. My harp teachers were a little dismayed about it though but I tried to assure them that the gauge was right…. and also that there isn’t really such a thing as a “guitar string” as it’s just a wound nylon string that you can put on any instrument.

I’m told that the lower bass strings on a harp can be quite expensive (e.g. about $13). Guitar strings only cost about a $1 or two.

Biagio
    Participant

Probably OK from your description but I hope you had the approval from the rentee.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.