harpcolumn

Grossi question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Grossi question

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Shoshonna- The Bochsa Revisited books are available at a variety of places. They are on Amazon, Sheetmusicplus, The Harp Connection, Melody’s Traditional Music, and of course my web site. One of these places may offer cheaper shipping charges. I had to add $12 for any order outside of the United States because of the shipping charge. Within the U.S. the Post Office offers a “media” rate of $2.72 anywhere in the country, including Alaska and Hawaii. But to Canada or overseas the postage jumps to $12. But on the plus side, the whole book is 92 pages, 82 of which are music! So it’s really a good deal.

shoshanna-godber
    Participant

Sheetmusicplus looks like the best bet for shipping to Canada – thanks for the tip:)

Biagio
    Participant

You really do not need a translation except for the discussions on technique, and even there not so much if you have been studying under a teacher or using some other standard reference. One of the more recent ones (and it is excellent) is “On Playing the Harp” by Yolanda Kondonassis.

Grossi is a classic in that it has one of the most extensive and orderly exercise progressions, so for that reason alone it is something every harpist should have on the shelf. Besides, as someone suggested, Italian is the language (still) of classical music.

There have been several translations made by private individuals, some of whom have shared their work with different forums. Those files are private, for members only, and therefore effectively copyrighted translations of a copyrighted book.

Speaking as an owner and moderator of one such group, I resent it when people try to join simply to get their hands on it, or any other work we have in our files. If that is their only purpose for wishing to join their application will be declined.

Biagio

shoshanna-godber
    Participant

Biagio, you might consider that these kinds of things work as a promotion for the harp group. I didn’t actually know either group existed until someone suggested that they had the file. Would I have joined even if I wasn’t looking for the Grossi I can’t say for sure, but I’m not sure why that motivation is so much worse than being motivated to get advice /support from other harpists. At any rate, I am happy to be a member of both groups for many reasons other than the Grossi, and I am glad that people were willing to share their knowledge both here and on the groups. I am sorry if I offended you by telling people that your group had the file; I was trying to be helpful.

Biagio
    Participant

Shoshanna, I was not addressing your remarks directly, so sorry if you took it that way. People join groups for various reasons, and groups are set up for varying purposes. If the group owners are responsible they will be clear about the purpose, and the rules that go along with them. By the same token, members or prospective members are reasonably expected to understand the purpose and rules and abide by them.

We are very clear in my group that we act in effect as a harp circle and require similar attitudes. You would not expect scores in a circle to be copied and circulated without permission (copy right violation) for example, or for a teacher to join the circle just to pick up more students, or for a producer to join solely in order to hand out flyers of their product. All of those might be perfectly acceptable in some other group.

We are happy to pass along information but we are not a vehicle for promotion and we’re pretty clear about that. The Grossi question is a bit tricky legally, as well as ethically. It is not an authorized translation (i.e. approved by the original’s publisher) but a private one, therefore created and made available under “fair use” theory. If, however, it were to be taken, copied, and distributed that would make the translator and the group liable for legal action.

We really don’t want that, so we have tried to solve the problem this way: if someone just wants that translation, we used to direct them to the translator. Unfortunately, she has passed away.

We expect prospective members to read the guidelines which we provide, and if they do not intend to abide they should not ask to join. I resent it when they do that – and it does happen, believe me.

Biagio

shoshanna-godber
    Participant

We should start another thread on group ethics:) You make an excellent point about copyright. Just to clarify, when I mentioned promotion I meant promoting the harp group so that other harpists know that it’s out there – not using the group as a means of promoting oneself. I was happy to find it and the Canadawestharplist through the Grossi threads. Thank-you for your work on the group!

alan-cross
    Participant

Oh nevermind. I guess I can’t share them on here.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Alan- Do you play pedal harp or lever harp?

The best books for exercises are LaRiviere and Salzedo/Lawrence Method, in my opinion, plus Salzedo’s Conditioning Exercises, which are truly comprehensive. I find the Italian etudes by Pozzoli useful for learning to play Italian music only. They do not develop strength in both hands, and emphasize Italianate melodic playing. The etudes are attractive and usable for background music.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics