harpcolumn

Fingers tangle when playing scales

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Fingers tangle when playing scales

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    aglaia-t
    Participant

Hi all, I am not very good at playing scales. My fingers tend to tangle when I play fast. I practice the scales over and over again until they seem to be in control, and then the next day when I practice again, my fingers will become all tangly.

I’ve tried moving my wrist and arm ahead of time, and I’ve tried placing my third and forth fingers together when I go up the scale. Neither of these can help secure my scale playing. Can anyone please offer more suggestions as to I can tackle this problem? Thanks!

kay-lister

Hi Aglaia,

My first thought on this is . . . HIGH THUMB!

tony-morosco
    Participant

What Kay said. But let me emphasize, SLOW.

Practice as slow as you need to in order to play correctly each time. Then gradually increase speed, giving yourself time to get to a point after each increase where you can play without error.

Gradual increases with time to get used to them will get you there. Not fast, but you will get there and it isn’t a race.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, there’s nothing like slow. The way my teacher had us do scales was to play one octave as quarter notes (so you can really focus on your position) followed by two octaves eighth notes, three octaves eighth triplets, four octaves 16th notes, and you had to be able to go up and down at least ten times with the 16th notes without stumbling before you could move the metronome up one notch.

(BTW, most methods don’t think you should ever lead with your wrist/arm when playing scales.)

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

You might try this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esjhUveEyng

He shows the space you need in close up and how to get your fingers on quickly without bumping.

aglaia-t
    Participant

Wow thanks so much for all your great suggestions!!

aglaia-t
    Participant

I actually have one more question. During the crossunder, should I place my 3rd or 4th finger before I play the thumb or do I simultaneously place the 3 or 4th finger while I am playing the thumb?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies