harpcolumn

Dr. Carrol McLaughlin

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Dr. Carrol McLaughlin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I wasn’t sure where to put this topic in the forum listings, but harpist Dr. Carrol McLaughlin passed away yesterday morning after a battle with cancer. She was my teacher’s instructor, and she touched the lives of many.
    http://music.arizona.edu/people/directory/cmclaugh/

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Hi Jerusha-yes, I saw this a bit ago on the Harplist. I didn’t know she’d had cancer, but it’s still a shock that someone so vibrant and full of energy could be gone. I remember her so well from the Lyon and Healy jazz festivals of the 80s and 90s-especially the first one where she won the competition hands down and Park Stickney was there competing at the age of 7. Many of us will have wonderful memories of her to treasure.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

I knew that she had been seriously ill over the last few years, but it’s still sad that she’s gone. I had a difficult time performing today at a Sunday brunch; it was hard not to think of her.
    Wow—I knew she had won the first Lyon and Healy jazz festival but didn’t know that Park was there competing at age 7!!

Alison
    Participant

Very sad to hear that, she was a great player and tutor in Germany at the first jazz fest in the late 90’s or noughties. I have one of her CD s.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Oh my God! I didn’t know about this. I’m really in shock. I have a photo here taken at a masterclass in 1967 at Hartt College in Hartford Connecticut. It is a group photo of the people who attended, and a 14 or 15 year old Carrol is in the group. She was a small pudgy girl with heavy black glasses framing her eyes, and she could play like a virtuoso even then. So sad to hear about this.

I managed to attach the photo. That’s Vera Dulova seated at the harp. Hans Zingel is next to her, and Aristid Von Wurtzler next to him. Carrol is directly behind Von Wurtzler.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by carl-swanson.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by carl-swanson.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Wow. That’s a neat photo! Thanks for sharing, Carl.

She’ll be greatly missed! She was a great teacher even when she was a teenager. She gave me a brief lesson when I was just beginning the harp, and she was in town with the National Youth Orchestra of Canada. (This was before I started lessons with Judy Loman.) She was only one year older than I was, but she called me “Kid”, which I thought was really funny. Her book and lectures on “Power Performance” were life-changing. What a loss to the harp community!

balfour-knight
    Participant

I agree, I am in shock! Carrol was a great influence in my life, too, and I can not believe this news. Thanks so much for letting us know, Jerusha.

All the best,
    Balfour

Anonymous
    Inactive

good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies