harpcolumn

Breaking the barrier

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Breaking the barrier

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    zgreyestjedi
    Participant

Hello!

I am pretty new to learning how to play the harp. I absolutely love it, and while it is not my first instrument, it is still a pleasant challenge.

One thing I am realizing while going through Sylvia Woods’ Teach Yourself to Play the Folk Harp, is that once I get to the exercise where your hands are basically going up and down the scale, hitting different notes at the same time, is I am constantly unable to play it correctly. The same finger (or thumbs) will pluck the string at the same time when they are not supposed to.

Basically, I am wondering if any of you have exercises (etc.) for a beginner or something that helped you get over this road block of playing two completely different things at the same time with both hands.

Thank you so much!

wil-weten
    Participant

Recently, you started another thread at: https://harpcolumn.com/forums/topic/your-tips-to-a-newcomer/.
    There you got a lot of advice in order to tackle your first hurdles. Just follow that advice and, in due time, things will work out.
    Good luck.

Tacye
    Participant

Slow down. There will be a speed at which you can do it.

Biagio
    Participant

It’s a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy isn’t it?

There are essentially three “issues” here:

-Pre-placing: your fingers should be where they need to be, especially in the LH before you strike – so slow down, and master the LH separately from the RH.

Counting: use a metronome

Patterns: your LH for the most part is your accompaniment hand and there are definite patterns – mostly some kind of chord. So try just playing that as an unbroken chord until your fingers are comfortable with the placement pattern.

Related: Your 19 is just too small to follow some of these patterns while also playing a melody. Your options are 1) buy a larger harp – minimum 26 strings 2) simplify the pattern (just play the root and a fifth or third) 3) master the pattern alone for practice (before getting a lager harp).
    Previously we mentioned some other “teach yourself” sources, one being Bruner’s “Play the Harp Beautifully” which addresses this and other early issues. Wood’s is a classic but it was written when there were no other lever harp instruction sources. Many people found that it just goes too fast, so you are not alone.

Biagio

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Biagio.

Take lessons. A good teacher will guide you through all difficulties, possibly with ease. Crossing over and under are the most complicated moves we make, so they need a lot more attention.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics