harpcolumn

Artone harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Artone harps?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hpn
    Participant

A local harp place around where I live sells Artone harps, but when I look on the internet about Artone harps I cannot get any information on the country origin of these harps. Does anyone know where Artone harps are from and if they are reliable harps?

wil-weten
    Participant

They are built in Taiwan. See: https://tenon.en.taiwantrade.com/product/harps-288423.html

And: http://harp.wikia.com/wiki/Chinese_Harps

Personally, I would go for a Dusty Ravenna as one of the most budget friendly quality harps. Dusty Ravenna’s are rather sturdy and have a nice sound. They also are very popular. You may easily find them second hand.

hpn
    Participant

Thank you for the information, its a shame Ravenna harps are sort of expensive for me, if I want the full levers one, and there is no secondhand market where I live for harps.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by hpn.
    wil-weten
    Participant

Tell us in which country you live and we may be able to help you to some ideas to find the best harp for your money. It would also help to know an indication of your budget for a harp.

Edit: in the second link I provided it says e.g.: “There are also folk harps being built in Taiwan, Republic of China (not the People’s Republic) by a company called Tenon Industrial Co who have three models of Artone harps (from 36 to 40 strings). “

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by wil-weten.
    hpn
    Participant

I live in a country where there is only one company/maker of harps but they only make concert sized harps, no 26-23 string harps. So I basically would need to import one/buying online. The harp selection at the stores here sells mostly those junky Mid-east harps, and then the Artones.

hpn
    Participant

yes I know it mentioned Taiwan, I edited my comment if you noticed, because I noticed that after I posted the comment that it did mention Taiwan, you were fast to respond before I could edit my comment. But I don’t know how reliable that wikia source is, I just wonder if there is anyone who personally has tried/had an Artone to give their opinion.

Biagio
    Participant

As harps have become more popular various companies and countries have “jumped on the band wagon”. Some may be small individual makers, others larger but the key point to bear in mind is that without a proven track record there is no way of knowing whether the harp is well made or not.

One clue would be to compare the price differential between an established makers and a harp at comparable size etc. If the “unknown” one is substantially less than the “established” be wary.

In the US a good 26 string fully levered will cost the maker anywhere from $500 US all the way up to $1500 for the best ones, in materials alone.

Biagio

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Biagio.
    evolene_t
    Participant

Hpn, it would help if we know which part of the world you live in. If you live in Asia, you could look into Aoyama harps? Very good quality but they might be expensive.

hpn
    Participant

Yes I live in Asia, in the same country as Aoyama harps. I thought Aoyama harps only make concert harps but it looks like maybe I was wrong, they require you to request a catalog to see their full line of harps such as the 26 string harp. I have even passed through the city they are produced in several times not realizing it until now. I hope Aoyama harps are more reliable than Artone as I have decided I am not going to consider an Artone anymore.

wil-weten
    Participant

Aoyama harps have a great reputation, also in Europe, where I live and where there are lots of other quality harps available.

In your case, I would definitely go for an Aoyama!

evolene_t
    Participant

If you live in Japan, definitely go for Aoyama. I know for a fact they make Celtic harps as well as pedal harps, I’ve tested at least two.
    I’m sure they’ll be helpful if you contact them.

Even if they had stopped making these models, I would look at the second-hand market : it’s a great way to get harps that are good quality and cheap(er), along as the owner took care of it. (And Japanese people usually take really good care of things).

Keep us informed of your search! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies