harpcolumn

Arrangment for the hymn – O Sacred Head Now Wounded?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Arrangment for the hymn – O Sacred Head Now Wounded?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JackieHarpFan
    Participant

Does anyone know of a harp arrangement for this hymn? My daughter has been asked to play it for Palm Sunday.
    Thank you
    Jackie

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Jackie! I just sent you a private e-mail about this. Hope some others respond soon!
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

charles-nix
    Participant

Darhon Rees-Rohrbacher has an arrangement in The Liturgical Harpist, vol 1, in the Lenten Hymns section. It is arranged to be playable on lever, but there are a fair number of lever changes. I don’t know which harp your daughter plays. Most of her arrangements are fully Intermediate level; this one is somewhat easier. I think Afghan Press is now the distributor for these arrangements–and they are uniformly excellently well done.

Most everyone is familiar with J.S. Bach’s harmonization, which has altered harmony and equal rhythm, and I’m assuming that is the one you’re wanting. However, the original Hassler tune was half note/quarter note rhythm, with much simpler harmony. If you have an Episcopal Hymnal 1982, the original can be found at #169, and it is playable pretty much as written, probably with some damping needed. (Bach’s version is at #168 in that hymnal).

Charles Nix

JackieHarpFan
    Participant

Thank you both so much! I wasn’t successful with my own google search. I must have stopped looking on page one or two. I might actually buy both arrangements for my daughter.:-) (And, Charles, I forgot to say, she plays a pedal harp.)

Thanks again,
    Jackie

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Hmmm, out of curiosity l went to google and found an arrangement by Janet Lanier, one by Barabara Fackler in her book The Sacred Lever Heart and another nice arrangement for harp and violin on Sheet Music Plus.

JackieHarpFan
    Participant

Thank you, Gretchen! You all are so helpful!
    Jackie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics