harpcolumn

Any male harpists in here?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Any male harpists in here?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author

I utterly reject that sentiment. It is diminishing to the harp.

I have composed some music for flute, oboe and harp. If Debussy was going to write a trio for the combination, he must have thought it a worthwhile group, and I have never known of such a combination. While flute and harp duos had a major heyday in the 1980s, there are very few duos touring or actively concertizing on a “high level” these days, or recording anything other than encores and tidbits. It’s a very large literature, and I think it is still ripe for development. It is a classic sound combination, one of the most ideal. I’m not sure a cello doesn’t sound better with it than a viola.

I think we need more harp and string quartet ensembles, or harp and string trios. And harp and wind quintet, even brass quintet. What we don’t need is a harp, marimba, trumpet and bass clarinet quartet. We also don’t have an all-male harp ensemble.

gorman-jones
    Participant

On my local public radio station, I recently heard

vince-pierce
    Participant

I was thinking more of the flute-harp duos that play for weddings and gigs, not so much in the concert and recital vein. I think harp could be used more often as an accompanimental instrument like piano, especially for instruments like flute or viola or oboe, which can be covered by the piano at times.

Harp, marimba, trumpet, and bass clarinet? Sounds kind of interesting to me, actually 🙂 I play the bass clarinet quite a lot, so I’m partial to the instrument. Not the trumpet so much, but I’ve wondered what kind of combination harp and trumpet make. If there is some good (and not terribly difficult) trumpet/harp music out there, I would be interested in it, primarily for church. I also have a friend whose wedding I’m playing at in March, and he has a couple trumpet players playing for the wedding as well.

I would love to see a male harp duo or ensemble, and I definitely want to start a duo of my own when I have the ability to do so and can find another male harpist with whom I would like to play. And on a side note…I was amazed when I watched a video of our harp ensemble playing how nice it looks when we all raise together – it was really neat to see that.

unknown-user
    Participant

My son started asking about harp lessons when he was in third grade. My husband felt that if he ignored the requests long enough they might go away. He was concerned about teasing.

Guys– It’s great to see so many of us continuing the “male harpist” tradition. It just seems that no other musical instrument can give the opportunities that playing the harp can. You have the freedom to play as a soloist in every style- jazz, folk, classical– but still work with ensembles.You’ll find yourself performing in amazing and interesting venues. The freedom of musical self-expression is limitless. You can also bring a sense of peace and beauty that the world needs now more than ever. Another benefit that we guys have is that harp is so technical and mathematical– things we’re just wired to be good at– it’s so cool to figure out new pedal combinations. And to address our friend who used such colorful language a few posts back– don’t ever feel that you have to become “over-butch” to compensate for your musical gift. Aspire to be as noble a person as the glorious music you create.

unknown-user
    Participant

What is going on out there? Emanuel Ceysson, Xavier de Maestre, Sivan Magen, with Sasha Boldachev in training, are guys poising to take over the harp world once more? Is there a reason behind the emergence of this generation?

Elizabeth Huston
    Spectator

on a completely different topic, I’m planning on studying abroad in Malta and was wondering if there was any way I could rent a harp while I’m there or if there’s a lot of opportunities for private instruction.

unknown-user
    Participant

You should ask Esmeralda Camilleri, she lives there. There’s not much opportunity, one or two teachers at most, I suspect.

Anna Also
    Participant

Its funny that guys should doubt their numbers in the harp area of interest. Grandjany, Salzedo, even Harpo Marx–the three most famous harpists of all time are male. Brian Boru, unifiyer of Ireland and Guiness both chose the harp as a symbol. I’m not a guy but I believe it is an instrument that anyone can learn and master.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well im 15 years old right now… so i guess that means i’ve played for just a few months under 7 years. I love the harp and I’m so incredibly glad that my parents never let me quit. Trust me its all about liking the music you’re playing haha. I’ve never been harassed or ostricized for playing the harp. Its always been an object of fascination for those around me. In fact most people find it incredibly cool that i play harp… a lot of my friends parents never believed that i played the harp until i told them myself haha. I guess I’m a lucky one for coming from a region that values being different and unique.

unknown-user
    Participant

This has been an interesting thread to pick up. I started playing the harp when I was 16, and am still working as harpist at 53. My instrument is a walnut Salvi Diana harp with no flowers, birds, bees, gewgaws or crowns. I like it’s graceful lines. One of my teachers owned 7 harps, most of them gilded, and her poodle p’d on one and the gold lifted right off!!!!! Her advice to me at the time was to look for a ‘blonde’ harp, just shelllac and nothing more, as her experiences taught her that any harp heavily decorated could be concealing a knothole or inferior grade wood. Crowns, Angels, and Decals and NOTHING to the sound, but can add volumes to the price. I opted for a dark walnut stain because I could cover any knicks or dents…..doors will nail you every time.

I have had some feedback over the years about playing a woman’s instrument, but all that really matters is that I play it well…all else disappears after “le Source’ or any piece of music that is played with passion and technique. In terms of trends, I’ve not noticed that I work any less than the women harpists when it comes to weddings, but they seem to have the edge when it comes to corporate receptions. There are so few of us in my city that we get on very well, trading off jobs, recommending each other and providing support on those occasions you want to put a bag over your head and go home and cut all your strings. (yes, they happen now and then)

In my city there are only 2 male harpists who play 47 string harps, there are maybe 5 males who play the Celtic harp, but we are growing in numbers.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Sam- I was 16 when I started playing the harp and at that time I lived in rural Connecticut and went to a regional high school. During my senior year(my first year of harp studies) I played at the school several times for student assemblies or evening programs put on for both students and their parents. I never once received a rude or derogatory comment from anybody. Not the school jocks, vocational agriculture guys, the misfits, no one. The whole school was fascinated with what I was doing. After that one year of study I was off to college as a harp major.

unknown-user
    Participant

ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!

and guess how old i am…… 14!!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi there, wow this is so awesome.

I am a 23 year old guy in SC, USA.
    I have always wanted to play the harp and did do some studying with a harp teach in high school. Unfortunately while I was in college I was unable to keep it up, but now that I am graduated I have purchased a small harp and am re-teaching myself how to play. It is so great to know that there are other guys out there.
    Just curious, are there any really great books for Celtic harps that you know of?

brook-boddie
    Participant

Mikel,

Congratulations on your new harp and for returning to the world of the harp!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.