harpcolumn

another harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp another harp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Would you ever buy a harp, simply to teach on it seems like a total cost sink to me…(?)

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I bought an almost new semi-grand harp just for rehearsals, practicing and small gigs.  I decided to dedicate my good concert grand that I used for a recent recording for big occasions. Why have someone  else put wear and tear on a harp that is special to you.  I would have a teaching harp unless you are playing on a harp you don’t care about.

Biagio
    Participant

Many teacher who I know have several harps, some of which they purchased as student rental instruments.  In a few instances the student has an option to buy it.  I suppose it depends on the teacher and the prospective students but for many a decent lever harp or two is a good investment. And/or as Gretchen says a smaller pedal harp can also be nice to have.

andy-b
    Participant

If you teach both lever and pedal, it only makes sense to have both available during lessons. I had a teacher who only had pedal harps. I only had lever. So I would practice pieces with lever changes all week at home, and then not know how to make the pedal changes during a lesson, since I couldn’t practice that way.

Sylvia
    Participant

I agree with Alison.  It would take a long time to earn back the amount you would spend buying a harp.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.