harpcolumn

Andrès muffling notation

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Andrès muffling notation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

In Absidioles by Bernard Andrès, there is a muffling sign with two diamond shapes above and below it. I have looked up the very useful PDF of his notations, but it is not listed there. Could someone let me know what it means, and if there is another PDF of his muffling notations? Thanks in advance!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Elizabeth- I just had a French couple staying with me the last 4 days, and the wife studied with Bernard Andres and knows him well. I just emailed your post to her. Hopefully she will know what it means. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear something.

You didn’t say what the notes are above the muffling sign. But I’m wondering if he means for you to muffle specific notes, possibly while playing, rather than just a flat hand muffle.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Elizabeth- Can you find someone playing it on youtube and see what they do in that spot?

Hello, Carl! I watched a couple of different videos, and they do different things with the mufflings. My guess is that it means to muffle the bass and the middle notes as well, before proceeding on to the quiet sections starting at bar 135 and 160.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Elizabeth- I just heard back from my friend. Here’s what she sent me.

Found it !
    it’s the 3rd bar, page 8
    Bernard wants the left hand to muffle the F octave before the pedal changes from natural to flat.

I hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Thank you so much, Carl!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies