harpcolumn

An open letter to a bridal magazine

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists An open letter to a bridal magazine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

Your blog looks fantastic Shannon, wouldn’t have picked that you were a newbie at all.

shannon-schumann
    Participant

Thanks, Adam! Now if I could only record like you do…! :-)

adam-b-harris
    Participant

ssh you’ll upset the real harpists……

HBrock25
    Participant

The Knot ran a similar article several years ago about how to save money on your ceremony and LIVE MUSIC was the only suggestion!

They suggested the DJ route AND then suggested shopping around for student musicians because some advanced middle schoolers were just as good as those expensive adult musicians.

They also said an electronic keyboard was cheaper then a harp and sounded just as good.

I was FURIOUS and wrote a letter of complaint and explained that I was PAYING to advertise on their website and they were hurting my business.

The Knot was totally unsympathetic, refused to let me out of my contract and we had quite the fight. Eventually, I got out of the contract but not without paying for several months I didn’t want.

However, The Knot is still going strong and I, the lowly harpist am not getting any where near the gigs I was getting when advertising with them.

I didn’t win in this case other then the satisfaction of complaining.
    Robin Roys

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Robin you are ABSOLUTELY right! This is a very definite trend and if a cute little editor on The Knot says it’s a good idea, well, gee, i guess it’s gotta be, right? Oh dear.

David Ice
    Participant

Robin, in October I will be filming multiple seminars with the CEOs and Marketing Directors of THE KNOW.

David Ice
    Participant

oops, typo.

Sylvia Clark

David,

onita-sanders
    Participant

This is just a personal observation.

Elizabeth L
    Participant

Do the

David Ice
    Participant

Onita and Sylvia, I agree with both of you.

Sylvia Clark

harps can’t be heard outside because the sound goes ‘up’)

I always amp, inside or out, and I tell the bride that so they don’t worry about it being heard.

robin roys

I would be THRILLED if you could confront them on this issue!

GO DAVID!!!!!!

I’ve never seen an article about hiring MINOR CHILDREN (that includes high school students) to do the flowers, make the gown or do the photography!!! It is an outrageous concept!!!!

The Knot is very powerful, unfortunately. I’d say I cut my wedding business in half by dropping my advertisement with them.

Gigmasters, Wedding wire and those sites just are not generating the business The Knot did, for me.

BUT, I just couldn’t let them get away with such antics. They never replied to my complaint. Just turned it over to their business dept. and we bickered for about 2 months before they finally agreed to let me out of my contract.

I love your postings, BTW!!!!
    Robin Roys

robin roys

I would love to think no bride actually took the article to heart but I have gotten calls from brides that don’t like my rate quote and say, “Don’t you have a student that would do it cheaper?”

I’m try to be professional to these brides but sometimes I want to SCREAM, “are you insane????”

or how about hiring a student to make your dress, do your hair and make up or take your photos!!!!!!

The health dept. protects the caterers by not allowing minors in the kitchen, but musicians are vulnerable.

Best wishes.
    Robin Roys

robin roys

I always amp, too, but I’ve stopped mentioning that lately because in my area, many of the mansions are saying they have “sound level restrictions” and I get into a mess trying to explain that the harp amp is NOT going to bother the neighbors.

I end up having to speak with the management and have actually been told NOT to bring an amp on several occasions.

Now I just ask for access to an electrical outlet and quietly set up my amp and sometimes cover it with black lace. Haven’t had one complaint.

Ah, the hoops we harpists have to jump through!

Robin Roys

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies