harpcolumn

An open letter to a bridal magazine

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists An open letter to a bridal magazine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

As a vendor at the recent Bridal Fashion Debut bridal show in Phoenix, Arizona on June 10, 2012 I was given a copy of your magazine.

What distressed me was an article. In it the author states “if the DJ’s already there for the reception, you just have to adjust the time for the ceremony…..it’s cheaper than bringing a harpist or a guitar player in.”

The advantages of having a live musician—an instrumentalist—for the ceremony are huge, and I feel this has been totally neglected and our contributions ignored. Indeed, with the possible exception of the Phoenix Boy’s Choir, I can find no other ceremony musicians advertising in your magazine. And, given the above statement, I can guess why.

Why do I feel this way? Let me explain, and please, really think about what I’m saying.

Let us assume that a DJ is providing the ceremony music for a wedding ceremony. Now, I’m not picking on DJs at all. This is just the physical reality of how things are.

All it takes is one lost bobby pin and all the timings, rehearsals, and planning go out the window. The ring bearer starts to cry, and simply refuses to go down the aisle. (I see this more often than not!)

The DJ 73 seconds of recorded processional music. And the kid refuses to budge. What is the DJ going to do? All he can do is hit REPEAT.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

David,

I hope that they listen to you!

susan-koskelin
    Participant

David,

What a perfect letter! I have tried to tell brides this very thing so, so many times. My stock statement to brides is, “It is the musician’s job to make sure your ceremony proceeds seamlessly.”

You stated everything so well with your anecdotes. My example is the wedding where the bride had forgotten the groom’s ring, and the mother jumped up to run to the dressing room to find it. She was gone at least five minutes, and I just started to play and continued til she returned. The mother and the bride both mentioned in their thank you notes how appreciative they were of that.

Hopefully the bridal magazine will change their attitude!

Susan

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Susan,

That’s such a perfect story!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

You have it completely right. If only non-musicians in the bridal profession would listen. And you’re right about the magazines: if they mention the ceremony at all, it gets short shrift compared to the reception. For too many people, it’s all about the party, never mind the real reason for the occasion.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

All true, all good points. I’ve had to shorten/lengthen processionals and recessionals more often than not. It’s also true that people respond to the beauty of live music, of the instrument, of a real human being playing it. It’s warm and personal and beautiful, and wedding should be nothing if not warm, personal, and beautiful. We can hear canned music in the grocery store, at the dentist’s office, on hold with Verizon tech support, etc. Live music brings LIFE to the occasion and is unique and memorable. This is a special and sacred moment in one’s life, is it not? Honor it!

David Ice
    Participant

Brilliantly put!!!

Susan Abken
    Participant

Thank you, David Ice! It’s downright TACKY to use recorded music. You put it well.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Indeed, that’s what I would expect at a quickie wedding chapel in Vegas where you can get married by someone dressed like Elvis.

If you are trying to make your wedding even a little classy then nothing does it like live music, be it a harp, organ, piano, string quartet… whatever. To steal and paraphrase from Twain, the difference between live music and canned music is the difference between lighting and the lightningbug.

David Ice
    Participant

LOVE THESE!

HBrock25
    Keymaster

David, did you send the open

David Ice
    Participant

YES I did send the letter to the publisher…a physical hard copy by US Mail.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

David, Edna Phillips’ husband Samuel Rosenbaum used to say that recorded music is like a kiss over the telephone.

David Ice
    Participant

That’s brilliant!

shannon-schumann
    Participant

David was kind enough to allow me to post his letter on my blog, so at least it will be public somewhere, if not the bridal magazine.

I added two you tubes that bring the point home.

http://shannonschumann.com/blog/

Sorry for the plug; I’m new at the blog thing and kind of over-excited about it.

Shannon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.