harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Young Harpists » Joanna Newsom

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Joanna Newsom

• Unknown
    Unknown User

Hello everyone. I just found this website. It's so interesting to talk to other harpists! One does tend to feel sort of elite sometimes, but not here!!

I was wondering if anybody here is a Joanna Newsom fan. I personally love her (obsessed would be nearer the mark) and recommend her to anybody, harpist or not.

Anyone have an opinion?

replies to "Joanna Newsom"
    • Alexander
      Alexander Rider

Oh Kelsea. I am completely HEAD OVER HEALS in love with Joanna Newsom!! Check out my blogs and you see!!....

• Unknown
      Unknown User

That is so amazing!!!

What is your harp story?

I think that Joanna's music could pretty much make flowers grow. What's your favourite song??

• Alexander
      Alexander Rider

Well, she's done a lot of new stuff. I was there the first time she performed 'Emily', so I will always love that one. But my very favourite is 'Sawdust and diamonds'. Its breathtaking! She creates this whole, weird, dramtic soundscape. If you want to hear any of these songs; go here http://www.fromamouth.com/milkymoon/  and click on downloads. Alex

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Oh, that is one of my favourite songs!!

I know that website back to front, hahaha but thank you anyways!

You seem to be as obsessive as I am. It's wonderful to talk with you because most people haven't even heard of her and it's such a shame. She is amazing. I am working on creating my own style of playing, like she has done.

Where did you see her?

• Aimsy
      Aimsy W

Oooh! Another Newsom fan! How very exciting.. :)

I'm dying to hear her play live - would love to see how it transfers from CD to concert venue! Don't think she comes over to England very often though :(

Her harp parts seem really quite simple, yet hugely effective. I worked out 'The Sprout and the Bean' from just watching the video on repeat... You can see the strings quite clearly

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Hey!  She comes from my home town :)

I've only seen her in small venues, but they have been fantastic!  I'm not sure which song is my favorite.  They're all so wonderful.

• Christine
      Christine *

Yes - I love her! Can anyone tell me why they love her music so much though?  My friends and family can't understand why...and I can't really explain why I like her - there is something so addictive about her songs!

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I think either you like it or you don't.  I love how expressive she is and the rhythmic intensity of her work.  I like the way she totally flies in the face of harp stereotypes.  Her music is pretty cool but it's not "pretty".  She donesn't wear evening gowns.

Jennifer

• Christine
      Christine *

Great opinion!

By the way, if anyone is interested I know a great website where you can get harp transcriptions of sheet music for all of Joanna's Songs.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

Yes.  Please post that website!

• Christine
      Christine *

I can't remember the website off by heart but if you send me a email then I'll have a look in my list of links :)

• Michael
      Michael H

Currently, Joanna is my favorite artist. I hope she releases a new album soonish! But it'll be hard to top Ys.

I really love the way she plays harp what with all the polyrhythms and such!

• Samantha
      Samantha E.

This is the website: http://jnewproject.110mb.com/

Unfortunately, the transcriber took down the music for the meantime. Supposedly it'll be back soon. If you have any requests, some of his transcriptions are floating around on my computers. If I have what you want I'll gladly e-mail it to you!

• Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Kelsea,

How do you get your computer to highlight text in color?  That's really neat!

Jerusha

• Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

I think her harp playing is very interesting and well done, and her lyrics are quite interesting. As for her "singing", well, if you ever saw the tv show Friends, when Phoebe "sang" in the coffee house, then you probably can guess what I think.

• Michael
      Michael H

That's usually how people feel about her voice...At first. It grows on you after awhile, if you can believe it!

Her voice also improves in her later recordings. Listen to "Peach, Plum, Pear" and then listen to "Emily".

• Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

That voice could never grow on me. As a singer and voice teacher it's just "not right" and I can't stand it. I know a lot of people like it. That's fine, but please....it doesn't "grow" on everyone. Some of us don't even like the <gasp> singers on American Idol! <g>

Briggs

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

It's only "not right" if you're a classical musician.  Her style of singing is actually quite similar to Appalachian folk singing.

• Michael
      Michael H

Oh, American Idol, the more the singer can caterwaul, the better they score...Ick...

But I understand completely. :[

• Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

It's not right if you are a college-trained singer. For me, that makes it not right. I'm not going to sing that way, teach that way or listen to it. :)