harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break TWITTER

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of these twitter messages? Because I just don’t get it. These short fragmented sentences that don’t tell me anything, don’t clarify anything, don’t pique my curiosity, and don’t serve any obvious purpose other than possibly make the person who put it up feel important. I just don’t get it.

It really depends on the people whose twitter feeds you’re reading. I follow a bunch of NASA and astronaut feeds, and they are interesting, acute, and educational even in 140 characters. The communication mode doesn’t really impact the value of what’s said; smart, interesting people will say smart, interesting things. Inane bores will be inane bores no matter how many characters they have at their disposal.

It’s just another insane gimmick to make a lot of money out of nothing. Snake oil.

Sometimes people will just post a link to a very interesting article on Twitter.

emma-graham
    Participant

It’s also a very useful networking tool. I’ve made many contacts through local Twitter groups that have generated bookings, brought people to my concerts and helped sell CDs. I’ve also made contact with other harpists all around the world. It’s a great way to share tips and ideas with people, even thought you may never get the chance to meet in person. It’s all about how you use it. Like anything it can be open to abuse and misuse but it’s not a gimmick

Tacye
    Participant

I assumed Carl was particularly querying the twitter messages that now appear on this site somewhere (is it the homepage?) rather than twitter generally.

emma-graham
    Participant

Oh…..I’d never even noticed those!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics