harpcolumn

Suggestions for what to put under the harp when playing outside?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Suggestions for what to put under the harp when playing outside?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Webb
    Participant

I have been gigging for quite a few years but never found something I am really happy with for putting under the harp when I have to play on grass, gravel, or other non-harp-friendly surfaces. Sometimes the ground is wet, sometimes it is uneven, and sometimes it’s an all out mess.

I want to get something or some things that I can keep in the car (or garage if they are too big to always have with me) that will work in each of the various common situations (grass, sand, gravel, soft loose dirt).

What do you use, and where do you suggest buying it?

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Years ago we bought a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that is 3 ft. by 4 ft. We covered it completely (both sides, all edges) with green astro-turf which can be swept off or hosed off if needed. The harp, bench and I just fit on this (it’s a tight fit); it is the largest size that would fit in my original van; I could carry a longer one now but this suffices. It stays in the van all the time. If it were longer it might be too difficult to move.

I have put it down on dirt, pinestraw, gravel, etc. You do still need to find a level place to put it because you don’t want the harp to feel like it’s falling on you or away from you. I can roll the carted harp up on it to unload the harp. I tuck the bench behind the harp if I’m not there to keep it from tipping, just in case; a wise precaution anytime you’re outdoors, regardless of the surface.

It’s not too heavy to carry if you don’t have far to walk (wear gloves); I have a harp cart with a large shelf so I sometimes carry it on that after the harp is at the site (still covered). It’s thick enough not to bend or crack under my weight plus the weight of a concert grand and bench, but I weigh about 100 lbs., so may not work for everyone. Obviously it’s not meant to serve as a “bridge” over any large gaps. There’s room on the board beside you for a stand or you can put the stand on the ground. The larger the harp, the more you may need to angle placement on the board. If you have long legs, you may need a longer board. Measure on the floor the minimum set-up space you need and see if that will fit in the back of your vehicle. Good luck!

Sylvia
    Participant

I just tell them I need a solid surface to play on, and either I’m placed on concrete (like porch, sidewalk, etc.), or they can provide a board, 4X6 ft. for me and the harp. I have no room in my station wagon for anything like that anyway. Just tell them what you need, and let THEM provide it. You have enough to haul around as it is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies