harpcolumn

Music suggestions wanted!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Music suggestions wanted!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    julianna-kocher
    Participant

I’m playing for the cocktail hour at a “French cafe” themed wedding. Any suggestions of music that would help create the French cafe atmosphere, please?

I’m also on a short deadline…

Thanks in advance!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Well, there’s “I Love Paris” and “C’est Magnifique” by Cole Porter and “Under Paris Skies” by Frank Chacksfield. Anything by Ravel, Debussy and Satie?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Do a key word search on google for “french cafe music.” You will find a lot of suggestions and a youtube clip of music. I hope you are planning to wear some sort of costume to complete your role. A beret and tied scarf on the harp could be fun, too. If this was my gig, I would also bring a small, stuffed-toy dog with a leash tied to my harp column or harp bench. The French love their dogs:) Let us know how the wedding turns out. Sounds like fun.

susan-koskelin
    Participant

Ray Pool’s arrangement of La Vie en Rose is a good one.

Julianna, a few years ago I was asked to play background music for a well known travel writer and speaker for his presentation on France. I compiled a list of pieces and arranged the keys so that they were mixed, using my own arrangements, so help yourself to this list, if you wish:
    C: The River Seine. F: Plaisir D’Amour. Cm to CM: I Love Paris. G: Dominique. C: La Vie en Rose. Dm-DM: Les Bicyclettes de Belsize. C: J’Attendrai. G: Parlez-Moi d’Amour. C: Pigalle. DM7-EM7: A Man and a Woman. em: Domino. C: Aupres de ma Blonde. Eb: Moulin Rouge. C: Symphonie. Dm_DM: Forbidden Games. C: Mamselle. D-G-D: La Ronde. C: Hi Lili,Hi Lo. F: Beyond The Sea. C or Ab: If You Love Me, Truly Love Me. Dm-M: Love is Blue. C: Rondeau by Mouret. Am: Charade. C: Gigi.F: Alouette. C: Au Clair de la Lune. F: Frere Jacques. C: April in Paris. Eb: The Poor People of Paris. C: The Petite Waltz. C: Ebb Tide. F: Under the Bridges of Paris. Fm: Under Paris Skies.C: All I Ask of You.

j-valentine
    Participant

William Mahan has a couple of books that are quick to learn. French Impressions, Paris Once Again and Monet’s Garden. Also GREAT FRENCH COMPOSERS FOR HARP by Sunita Staneslow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.