harpcolumn

Harp and Piano

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Harp and Piano

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sophie Graf
    Spectator

Does anyone know of good chamber repertoire that includes both harp and piano? (Can include other instruments as well.)

paul-knoke
    Participant

Here’s a link to Ut Orpheus’s listing:
    http://www.utorpheus.com/index.php?cPath=841_188
    Hope this helps!

Paul

You can play Ravel’s Introduction et Allegro as a harp-and-piano duet, and Alice Giles did a wonderful recording with several interesting pieces on it. The Salzedo Sonata is a masterpiece, and the crowning jewel of that repertoire. It is very difficult, but not impossible, for the harp, anyway. It’s quite rewarding. I’m sure you’ll find more pieces in the catalogs. My program with piano was the Debussy Danses, the Salzedo Sonata, the Ravel, and the Berezowsky Concerto, with a few solos to open with.

Sophie, since harp and piano have almost the same range of notes, and neither can sustain the sound as long as can a bowed instrument, an ideal combination in my view would be harp and cello, because the cello can sustain notes in the bass clef, so useful in this combination, and can also use pizzicato for added effect when desired.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.