harpcolumn

Guatemala Harp Teaching Program

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Guatemala Harp Teaching Program

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

My new year’s resolution was to get rid of old harp strings and unused music books. I donated them to harpist Patrice Fisher, founder of the Guatemala Harp Teaching Program and a member of AHS. I hope to encourage other harpists to support this worthy project. There are now 25 Guatemalan students learning harp because of her efforts. Patrice found a harp maker who in the past 12 years has built 50 harps. 8 harps have been donated by US and Canadian harpists. These students have almost no books to learn music and must learn music by ear.

Some background: In 2001 the only harp teacher in Guatamala died, leaving behind 3 students. Patrice’s husband is from Guatamala so she stepped in to offer a harp workshop. 18 students attended. Since then she has taught there several times a year and by Skype. Patrice has now trained 3 teachers. This country would have no harp if it were not for Patrice.

If you have harp strings, unwanted music or anything useful for students, please contact Patrice via her website http://www.patricefisher.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.