harpcolumn

Five Variants of “Dives and Lazarus” – R. Vaughan Williams

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Five Variants of “Dives and Lazarus” – R. Vaughan Williams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ruth-landis-hunter
    Participant

I am playing this piece in three weeks. Does anybody have some helpful fingerings/changes for Variant 3? Any help would be appreciated!!

Alison
    Participant

Yes indeed – so I’ve sent you Barbara Fackler’s version of the entire harp part which she gave me when I was desperate in 2009 and we finalised it into a really good result including corrections to the 2003 part from the score. It is an extraordinary composition and such a wonderful discovery – but VW wrote the harp part in ‘voices’ and I found it too difficult to read into two handfuls. I am listening to it again – wow. We had a thread before…… http://www.harpcolumn.com/forums/professional-harpists/posts/56329
    The [?] up right is a pdf of an excerpt from a book on VW with the background to the work, from bottom of 2nd real page.

erin-wood
    Participant

If you have a pdf of your updates Alison, I would also love a copy!

Alison
    Participant

It’s Barbara’s so I have asked her to send it onto you, there were just a couple of fingering corrections a few days ago, and I’m not the master owner.

Can I also put in a request for a copy please?

Thanks so much:)

Alison
    Participant

sure .

kathy-mcmullin
    Participant

I will be playing this piece in August and would love any suggestions for fingerings and/or editing for Variant 3.
    Thanks!

Alison
    Participant

If I could find your email I would sent this onto you – BTW the piece is difficult but not impossible so I hope they warned you ………. A

I’m currently playing this and would GREATLY appreciate a copy of the fingerings ASAP.

Alison
    Participant

then email me or one of the others ! I heard this piece again on the radio today – it surely is one of my favorites, curiously it was at a much lower tempo so less stress for the harpist, but musically almost too slow – I guess one gets used to works in a certain tempo range.

marian sussman
    Participant

Hi,

I have a student who is playing this work and would appreciate any fingerings you have!

kathylkh
    Participant

Hi Alison,

Could I have the Barbara Fackler’s version of the fingerings for Variant 3 of Vaughan Williams’s Five Variants of “Dives and Lazarus”?

I am suffering with the fingerings.. t^t

Thank you very much!! Your help would be appreciate;)

Alison
    Participant

Hi Ka, I was alerted to this last night, as it came to my personal email. Without knowing yours, all I can do is reply to harp column and attach the files, which I did, and hopefully the office will send them onto you, as I can’t see your own email on this site. I don’t think we should attach files to the site as access is unrestricted. Alison

Alison
    Participant

It’s so wonderful to listen to, it has a restful, soothing & healing effect on me, the opposite of the difficulties playing it – there are many pieces that I am quite happy just listening to, given the luxury !!

JackieHarpFan
    Participant

Alison,
    Could I please get a copy of the fingering you are talking about?
    Thank you!
    Jackie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.