harpcolumn

Distance Teaching Learning

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Distance Teaching Learning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I obtained a very nice video camera, so I will be able to offer lessons via video very soon. I would like to hear from teachers who have used this, and what their experiences have been, and any advice they have to offer.

I teach by Skype for a school that is a three-hour drive from where I live. It is not ideal, but better than no lessons at all. The better the equipment, the better the experience. I position my harp so that the student can see my hands on the strings, and the student does the same on their end. Sometimes the connection is not great, so there can be a delay in what you see and what you hear. It can be hard to judge sound and tone quality, when it is unclear whether it is the connection’s fault or the student’s playing. But you can correct hand position, rhythm and interpretation. It is best if the student can come occasionally for a live lesson.

I would as soon analyze a recording posted to youtube for my eyes only, I would think. I did that with someone from Malaysia, and it was apparently very helpful. But that is more like giving a master class.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.