harpcolumn

Camac Bardic 27 help!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac Bardic 27 help!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Tacye
    Participant

Phosphor bronze with a Nylon wrap around it? Having the wrap of a less dense material surprises me as it won’t give much of a flexibility benefit over a solid wire.

I haven’t come across Salopian doing windings in Nylon, but worth asking.

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Mae (and Tacye),

For fibre I use diameter per thread of 0.011″, density 0.0412 lb/cubic inch, tensile strength 52,000 lb/square inch (sorry for the imperial units, it’s how my program is set up). These may vary somewhat depending on your string maker. There has been an ongoing “discussion” for over 30 years among makers over how much to assume for compression as bedding. Personally I don’t worry about the latter.

I came up with three different variations using my 2×23 as a surrogate and will send them to you off list.

WRT Tacye’s question: a thin metal core (say 0.018″) with heavy fibre bedding and nylon wrap will be only slightly stiffer than nylon core, much thinner, and with usually better acoustic and tensile characteristics. In this instance I’d probably use steel rather than bronze core but up to you. A metal wrap will of course sound – well, metallic:-)

More anon,
    Biagio

Tacye
    Participant

That wasn’t the query I intended – my comparison was between a metal core with nylon wrap and a slightly thicker wire with no wrap as I know plain bronze works in similar circumstances and is much cheaper.

Biagio
    Participant

OK now I understand Tacye. If one is happy with the tone, and transition from the upper register strings sure, why not?

I can say however, having once (only once!) made a metal double strung that it sounds horrible. My neighbors didn’t know whether to call the police or heave a boot over the fence at it.

I can’t figure out how to attach files here – help!!!
    Grins,
    Biagio

balfour-knight
    Participant

Biagio,

I am so glad you figured out how to attach files, ha, ha! I enjoyed reading this old thread, and it very well supplements Mae’s other one about the double strung harp saga. These forums contain so much information–it is great to have these on Harp Column!

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies