harpcolumn

Books on harp composing

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Books on harp composing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

This topic has been discussed before, but I could not find the info in the archives or in searching posts from the previous HC. A composer contacted me looking for books on harp composition. He would like to include more and better written harp parts in his arrangements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Well, since there wasn’t any overwhelming response to my post above, I started searching on the internet and found that http://www.harpspectrum.com has a list of books about harp composing. Another good site is http://www.composingforharp.com.

Suggestions:
    Harp Scoring by the late Stanley Chaloupka (long Principal Harp, Los Angeles Philharmonic). This is excellent,written because he found so many poorly written harp parts he had to revise!
    The ABC of Harp Playing by Lucile Lawrence (p.41 to p.69) pub.G.Schirmer
    The Harp in the Orchestra by Beatrice Schroeder Rose 2002
    Principal Harp: A guidebook for the Orchestra Harpist, by Sarah Bullen 1998
    Writing for the Pedal Harp by Inglefield and Neill 1985
    Standardized Chord Symbol Notation by Brandt and Roemer 1976
    Complete Method for Harp, by Henriette Renie Book 2: Syntax-Appendix, translated to English by Geraldine Ruegg. Pub. Alphonse Leduc, Paris 1966.p.205-224.
    Master Glossary of Symbols and Special Effects for harp, by Faith Carman.1992
    Writing for the Modern Harp by Lucille H. Jennings 1974, School of Music, Ohio University at Athens, Ohio.
    How to Write for The Harp in the Commercial Orchestra by Lisa Coffey, 1983
    The Art of Modulating by L. Lawrence and C. Salzedo 1950. pub. G.Schirmer
    New Harmony for Harp by Verlye Mills 1977
    Rhythm for Harp by V. Mills and S. Castellucci 1973
    Harp With a Beat by Verlye Mills. pub. MCA/Mills
    An Approach to Jazz and Popular Music for the Harp by Stella Castellucci 1983
    pub. Miranda Publications (ASCAP) Santa Monica, California. 363 pages.
    Some on this list include a recording.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Thank you, Patricia. I appreciate this book list. I’m sure it will be helpful to others, as well.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Harp-pedal-markings-as-text-into-your-score

This page gives a tutorial on how to correctly create pedal diagrams (with a small space above the horizontal line for Flats and a small space below the horizontal line for Sharps) using Finale engraving system:

Finale – Type Harp pedal markings as text into your score

(skip down to section titled “HARP PEDALGRAMS”)

A link when using Sibelius engraving system:

http://www.musicprep.com/sibelius/search-results.shtml?cx=partner-pub-3098077480802761%3A92v9da97z0e&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=harp+pedalgrams&sa=Search+Sibelius+Sites

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Thank you so much for the additional resources, Clinton.

That link is no longer valid. When using sibelius, under plug-ins, other, insert harp pedaling, will automatically create a pedal diagram in the wrong place, but you can drag it where you want it.
    That is a very thoughtful list, Patricia. I have tried to work on a workshop or course for composers, but it is a huge task, and they don’t come asking for it until the last minute.

MusikFind1
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.