harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Teaching the Harp » anyone using mcdonald/woods harp...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

anyone using mcdonald/woods harp olympics with adults?

• Unknown
    Unknown User

I would appreciate any thoughts on using the new mcdonald/woods harp

olympics series with adults. Thanks, Virginia

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "anyone using mcdonald/woods harp olympics with adults?"
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Virginia:

I like this series very much for the children I've used it with, but I haven't tried it with adults. The only thing "childish" about the book is the Teddy Bear on the cover. The materials inside are pretty strait forward, so I'm sure it would work fine with an adult who doesn't mind the teddy bears.

If you try it, be sure to let us know how it works out.

Kim Rowe

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

The woods/macdonald version of "Away in a Manger"(Olympics) is  a really great arrangement for the adult beginner.  The counterpoint in the left hands, forces each hand to work independently, and the dotted figure in the right hand enhances their rhythmic understanding.

- Sign in to comment
    • Mary
      Mary Dropkin

I've used the series with a couple of adults and it's worked very well.  The techniques, exercises, and songs are all great.  However, you have to be careful with the kind of person to whom you assign these books.  Attitude is everything.  If they are quite accepting of the fact that they are beginners and don't mind "cute," then the books work really well.  If they are "too adult," then I use the Curcio books and/or Sylvia Woods.

Mary Dropkin

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

My adult studets like the books and they all are very motivated to take the evaluation afterwards. The Teady Bear never bothers them at all. I think what matters is what other songs and books the teacher assign to the students. Learning the solid techniqeu is required, playing songs they like is personal then.

- Sign in to comment