harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Teaching the Harp » Canon in D, easy version?

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Canon in D, easy version?

• Marguerite Lynn
    Marguerite Lynn Williams

Hi,

Can anyone suggest an easy version of Pachelbel Canon in D that is in the key of D and doesn't sound too bare bones??

Thanks,

Lynn

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Canon in D, easy version?"
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi Lynn,

Have you looked at Sylvia Woods' version of the Canon?  It
      includes an easy variation, as well as a more advanced one, both in D as
      well as in G. 

Kate

- Sign in to comment
    • Han
      Han Hsieh

Kate is right. I played her version 15 years ago; it covers easy, difficult and duo arrangements in one book. I just bought a new copy again last month for my younger sis, it seems Sylvia Wood rearranged the music again since I found few extra stuff I don't remember seeing before. The new arrangement is slightly different compare to the old one; however, the music is still nice as well.

- Sign in to comment
    • Tony
      Tony Morosco

I will third the Sylvia Woods arrangement. I use it for lever harp and it is very nice and very full sounding. I often get compliments when I play it. I also have both the older version and the new edition (sent to me by accident when I ordered something else and they kindly told me to just keep it) and there are some differences. But both are very nice and you may be able to find an older edition second hand fairly cheap.

Generally I like Sylvia's arrangments and I wish she would do more arrangments of classical music. She does them very well.

- Sign in to comment
    • Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Hagberg

I agree.  I play the Sylvia Woods Canon in D at weddings all the time, and it is always a hit.  I have also played the harp duet from that book, and it's great too.

- Sign in to comment