harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Teaching the Harp » Granjany / Renie Technique

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Granjany / Renie Technique

• Unknown
    Unknown User

Yolanda Kondonassis has just come out with an instructional book

covering techniques for the Salzedo method.  I am learning

Granjany / Renie method and would really like to know of any

materials available on techniques -- not so much exercises as

instruction on hand/arm/wrist placement and other technique.

Thanks, Alaine

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Granjany / Renie Technique"
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi Alaine...There is a book that I have been working through called Complete Method for Harp, by Henriette Reni?.  It is very good as Reni? goes into great detail about hand position and movements of the wrist, etc.  She also provides etudes and exercises.  I hope this info will help you.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Elaine,

I too am learning Grandjany/Renie method and have been looking for informatin.  I was happy to see someone responded to you with the name of the book: Complete Method for Harp by H. Renie but I can't seem to find it yet.  Have you gotten it yet?  Where can I order it from?  You can write to me at: Peacefulsounds@aol.com

Thanks,

Lisa

- Sign in to comment
    • Marta
      Marta Cook

International Music Service has the Renie mehod (www.lyramusic.com.) It's noe cheap--$45 for vol. 1 and $39 for vol 2, but it's a great resource. I think for your purposes vol. 1 might be more relevant, but it's been awhile since I looked.

- Sign in to comment
    • Angelica
      Angelica Vianna

Vanderbilt has The Complete Renie Method (the two volumes combined in one translated to English) and it costs only $55.25

It is a great Method, I think all harpist should have it

- Sign in to comment
    • Patricia
      Patricia Jaeger

Alaine, the American Harp Society has produced 3 videos of Grandjany playing and demonstrating his technique on the harp. They are well worth owning since books and text can only go so far. Contact AHS through their web site or e-mail me and I can give you information about the videos also. Grandjany answers many questions put to him by one of his former students, the late Lucien Thomson, on the tape, so perhaps these same questions are the ones you might ask. Best wishes. Patricia. pjaeger99@hotmail.com

- Sign in to comment
    • Jan
      Jan Fetty

I recently discovered a fantastic video with Serena O'Meara and Gladys Hubner.  Serena was a student of Gladys Hubner and Hubner who was a student of Granjany!  The lighting and photograpy is just superb as well as the techniques demonstrated.  The video is titled "Experiencing the Harp" and provides basic learning techniques.  I'm a newby, but I'm hard to impress.  However, this one is a winner and it is only $30 postage paid.  I found it at  http://www.omearamusic.com/  I use the video (and accompanying booklet) between lessons to refresh my memory on techniques.  It ends with a piece called "Over the Waves" but unfortunately lacks the close-up photography for that piece that is present throughout the other part of the video.  Maybe it will be of interest to you.

- Sign in to comment
    • Mr.
      Mr. S

Hi Patricia, some one wrote here,sorry i dont remember where,that the Vidios by Grandjany are not good high quality of recording, maybe i am mistaken,it will be very kind of you to recorrect my informations. and one more question, what is the difference between Grandjany and Salzedo, they both play the first finger the same way???

thanks

- Sign in to comment
    • Misty
      Misty Harrison

People are probably going to write a lot about the differences between Salzedo and Grandjany in response to your question but the best way to figure it out is to read what both of them wrote in their articles, to find any recordings or videos of them playing or talking, and to compare their transcriptions. The transcriptions are really where it's at beyond just hand positions. You can really figure out how they thought about using different fingers for melodies, etc. They transcribed a lot of the same pieces, like the ones by Debussy.

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

what is the difference between Grandjany and Salzedo

Oh please, please, please, Mr. S, don't get them started again!

- Sign in to comment
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

Please, if anybody has a desire to discuss the differences between Grandjany and Salzedo technique: take two aspirins and lay down 'til it goes away!

- Sign in to comment
    • Mr.
      Mr. S

oh Barbara, i am really sorry for giving such a question, me too dont want it to happen again. but i am interested educationally about that, that's all. my apologize again.

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

Yes, I can understand that, but you know what always happens here when this subject comes up…

- Sign in to comment
    • Mr.
      Mr. S

sorry Barbara,yes there will be a big quarrel,or the 3rd world war :)))

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

You can learn a lot simply by reading the posts on the Salzedo vs. Grandjany thread and other related ones. Most harpists play 1 with their thumbs. The only very different thumb technique I have ever seen is the Russian, with its preparatory dip.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Lyon and Healy also carries it.  I was taught, and teach the Salzedo technique.  I bought this and found it to be very useful in learning more about Granjany technique.  I also got some alternative ideas to try out and some great pedagogy ideas.

- Sign in to comment
    • T.W.
    • Jessica
      Jessica Wolff

I was taught Salzedo and couldn't understand why some folks were making fun of me for it.

- Sign in to comment
    • Susan
      Susan Abken

R/G trolls are to be ignored, and likewise, if a harpist plays R/G method and the Salzedo trolls start taking verbal cheap shots, it's a reflection of their own sick souls, not you! Make music for the JOY of it, and just keep your technique strong and consistent and to YOU inner standard, no matter what the trolls have to say!

In the music world, too many musicians would rather misuse their limited God-given time to belittle others, rather than working hard and long on their own art. Just let the whirling dervishes whirl, and enjoy what you do and get out there and do it!

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

I just want to say that Salzedo was a great admirer of Henriette Renie.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

If you make the sound that YOU want to make, then the means of production are irrelevant... unless you're talking about excessive or unnecessary physical stress.

~Sam

- Sign in to comment