harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Teaching the Harp » Intermediate competition piece...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Intermediate competition piece suggestions

• Marguerite Lynn
    Marguerite Lynn Williams

I'm looking for a flashy intermediate level, lever harp solo for a student. Any suggestions?

She's currently working on the Andres Epices.

Thanks!

ML

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Intermediate competition piece suggestions"
    • anita
      anita burroughs-price

How about "Nataliana" by Deborah Henson-Conant?

- Sign in to comment
    • Abby
      Abby Kent

Very good idea!

- Sign in to comment
    • Diana
      Diana Day

How about "The Minstrel's Adieu To His Native Land" by John Thomas? It's available in an arrangement for lever harp from Adlais Music Publishers in Wales.

- Sign in to comment
    • Patricia
      Patricia Jaeger

Premiere Valse by M.A. Durand,  in Eb, Opus 83, 280 measures, published by Harpress of California, arr. Phyllis Schlomovitz; or Chaconne (also by Durand) arranged by Carlos Salzedo. There is also a Hasselmans arrangement  of this one, dedicated " a son eleve Mademoiselle Henriette Renie". It is 2 1/2 minutes long. 

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Several of Salzedo's Suite of Eight Dances can be played on a lever harp: the Menuet, Polka, Siciliana, Tango; and several solos are in the Art of Modulating, including Petite Valse, but his best solo would be the Diatonic Variations on the Carnival in Venice theme, for lever harp.

- Sign in to comment
    • Erica
      Erica Powell

too funny, when I read the first line, I immediately thought of Vanille! However, have you tried Pedals on Vacation? xx

- Sign in to comment
    • Zoraida
      Zoraida Avila

-Handel's Passacaille, Caroline Rempp arrangement.
      -Ank Van Campen: Variations on welsh carol

If your student has big hands, so you can try Victor Santal's Reencuentro con mi angel. Look at this:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqi7gGttSI

Good luck!
      Zoraida

- Sign in to comment
    • Rachel
      Rachel Avery

Lots of Laura Zaerr's arrangements are challenging, like River Right Rhumba. Her music is original and would certainly be unique.  If you need a shorter piece, Laughing Dove from her A Living Tradition collection is full of 16th notes and is a real croud-pleaser. 

New Blues by Deborah Henson-Conant is also fun.  If you're willing to buy a piece from overseas, Spring Fever by Nadia Birkenstock is great fun with just a few snappy lever changes.  http://www.keltische-harfe.de/english/noten.html  Her website mentions pdf downloads, so maybe that could be an option instead of buying the whole book.  If those are looking too hard, Kathrn Cater's pieces are short (2 pages) and often employ blues rhythms, syncopation, and other neat elements.

- Sign in to comment
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

I love Laura Zaerr's music too. I wish someone would record all of it. There are wonderful little snippets of some of her things on the Thormahlen website.

- Sign in to comment
    • Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

I have Intermediate lever harp pieces available at www.theavondalepress.com. The big "hit" is The Downstairs Spider in the Solos for Lever or Pedal harp book, and Seasons in Vancouver has just been published.

- Sign in to comment
    • CT
      CT Tendinae

It's a little bit off topic... but I'm really curious how your piece 'Seasons in Vancouver' sounds. Are you aware of any recordings/ youtube movies? I've looked but I couldn't find them...

- Sign in to comment
    • Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Winter in Vancouver is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHLhD2Ia_8
      Fall in Vancouver  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZtzWcXeQQo
      I haven't recorded Summer yet, but I plan to do so soon.
      I'll see if I have an MP3 of Spring in Vancouver and I will email it to you. These are all live performances, so they are not perfect.

- Sign in to comment