harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Professional Harpists » Windy Wedding

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Windy Wedding

• Kelly
    Kelly R

If you are playing an outdoor wedding, and the wind starts blowing and makes some music through your harp strings, do you pull the harp back and try to dampen the strings in the hopes of eliminating the "windchimes"?  (This is from personal experience - I was playing a wedding this weekend (very small wedding) but because of where I was (right front in center with the pastor), I felt it might be more distracting to have me pull the harp back and try to dampen then just to have a little extra unexpected music.  Sorry for this silly question, just wondering if there is a "correct" way to handle windy weddings?   :)

replies to "Windy Wedding"
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I usually damp them, especially if the minister is talking or the couple is saying their vows while the strings are ringing.  Guests would rather hear the ceremony than windy strings!  What's even worse is when you're hooked up to an amp.  My partner and I did a windy lakeside wedding once.  Apparently she couldn't hear the harp ringing through the amp and I kept having to hiss at her to damp the harp!

Jennifer

• Mr.
      Mr. S

oh Kelly don tell me about windy weddings, i have the whole experience about it, but a negative experience, flying scores, strings playing by it selves, turning pages, i do weddings especially at summer time, outdoor , i sit on the stage wich located inside the swimming pool and every thing is opened arround me only winds take the chance to play with me , i  feel after such a wedding very tired and not satesfied , because getting confused, i think another time i will ask some one to sit beside of me and turn me the pages.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I rarely use anything more than two pages outdoors for that reason.  I snagged some pageturners the time I was accompanying a multipage solo.

Jennifer

• Helen
      Helen Rudd

I keep all my music in plastic page holders in a binder and the wind can't grab them.
      Helen

• Mr.
      Mr. S

Hi Helen, i am using a nylon page holders too but its windy to the deal that the pages turns by it selves from the first page to the last , oh dont want to remember that, i try to stop the pages by my left hand and play only the right.ohhhh.

• Kay
      Kay Lister

I use the nylon page holders as well and yes the wind will grab them too.  What I take gobbs of with me are LARGE rubber bands and have them fixed over the music stand from top to bottom.  The bottom edge (holding the music) projects just far enough out making a large enough space between the rubber band and the music that it is FAIRLY easy to turn.  You just need a little practice on the quick "turn & tuck" method.  The only time this was not working for me is when I needed to turn BACK the page to repeat the first page.  I had my friend stand close by for that one.  It was an extreemly windy day and I had one shoe off with my toes clamped around the leg of my music stand to keep it from taking off.

Kay

• Mr.
      Mr. S

hi Kay, no i am experienced in turning pages,and now very used to control my self and my music if the wind changes me some page of the music i am playing. thanks for the advice of the rubber band.

• Misty
      Misty Harrison

This might be weird but I usually put my (long) tuning key on the stand to hold the page. It's easier for me than trying to stick it under a rubber band (although that's a good idea) and it's heavy, plus I can move it when I need to to one side or the other or both. I use a binder with the pages too but they're right, those pages turn by the wind often especially by the lake.

• David
      David Ice

I always have clothespins with me. Easier to manipulate than rubber bands.

David Ice

• Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

To eliminate wind music, I turn the mike off during the ceremony when I'm not playing.  I use only memorized repertoire.  If I have to accompany a singer, I enlist an assistant to hold the stand to keep it from blowing over and turn the page, if it's not all on two pages.  I use large paper clips to hold the pages down. 

• joan
      joan steinberg

Kay, I tried using your rubber-band method today at an outdoor wedding.  Big improvement over the clothespins I've been relying on. You learn so much from these forums...  Thank you!

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Yes, many windy weddings over the years here in Texas - I, too, have all my music memorized so that I don't mess with page turns or run the risk of blown over music stands (that happened to a friend of mine and her music flew everywhere) - the wind here can be very "gusty" and unpredictable - I sometimes  deal with the singing strings and usually damp them especially during important parts of the ceremony - however, every now and then the wind is just right and it's during the readings so I set the pedals to the "Autumn" gliss and go through the pedal changes with the wind playing - it's very soft and gentle and really kind of cool - I wish I had a recording of it to use on a "relaxation" CD - if anyone mentions it, I usually say something like, "Yes, the angels were playing my harp today" - on the upside, if it is that windy, it is blowing away all the mosquitoes and other flying bugs that can really distract you - I've had some awful experiences with gnats who find my insect spray intoxicating and delicious or the noise of the summer cicadas drowning out everything else - well, it's just the joy of outdoor ceremonies and we all have our war stories - another post, eh?

• Helen
      Helen Rudd

John,
      I have to ask...what is the "autumn gliss" ?
      Helen

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi Helen -
      It's the last section of "Autumn" by Marcel Grandjany where the glissandi start - for the wind thing, I just change the pedals as though I was also playing the hands - it's really fun - now, I bet you can hardly wait for another windy day :)
      John

• Misty
      Misty Harrison

That's a fantastic idea, John. I'll have to try it. Never had a problem with gnats but sometimes with really loud birds like peacocks.

• Rachel
      Rachel Avery

Although they are pricey, there are large clips that work well for holding pages together and they have clear plastic on one side so that you can see through them to your music.  These are not big enough to hold the binder to the stand, but to hold music within the binder itself.  I'll have to try the rubber band method sometime.  Thanks for the great suggestions!
      http://www.folkharp.com/product/wood-and-clear-plastic-music-clip

• Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

These big clips work well. I have a pair.

Briggsie

• Stephanie M.
      Stephanie M. Sussmeier

If the day is not too particularly windy, you can also use those clips and be able to turn the pages while you are still playing. You just have to have to clip the music a bit askew beforehand (in order to grab and turn) and then as you turn the page, angle it back into the clip.  It takes some practice, but it really works.  

• Mr.
      Mr. S

Listen all , i was thinking many years ago about inventing an electronic LCD screen stand, this its a computer , we put pages inside a file , we open it and there sholud be a mouse we press it by foot or by hand lets say a button , we ress it then page turns to another , so we will be organized and will never think about wind, but keep my right of invention if some one will do it .

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

Someone already did, Mr. S:

http://www.therawfeed.com/2006/11/electronic-music-stand-does-it-all.html

but personally I'd rather have another small harp, like a Ravenna, for what it costs.