harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Professional Harpists » The Pilgrim's Progress, an opera...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

The Pilgrim's Progress, an opera by Ralph Vaughan Williams

• Sylvia
    Sylvia Clark

This won't be coming up for a year or two, but the British things seem to be always rentals.  I've been unable to find any part or score for sale.  If anyone has found the part or score for sale, please let me know.  Anyone who has played the opera:  info, please?  Thank you.

replies to "The Pilgrim's Progress, an opera by Ralph Vaughan Williams"
    • Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

Thank you, but I've been there already.  I don't want a vocal score...I'm a harpist.  The OUP rental people want to know when and where the opera will be produced and a bunch of stuff.  I don't know, and obviously, I don't want all the parts, just one. 

• Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

CFPeters is letting me buy it (expensive).  I'm wondering if anyone reading this has played the opera.  Anyone have a recording or DVD of it they'd like to sell?

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

There are several recordings in iTunes.

• Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll probably have a friend get it thru Amazon because I don't do money on the Internet.  I've been listening to the music samples on Amazon (they have the beginning of each track), and this thing is NOT going to compete with La Bohème. 

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

I don't do money on the Internet

You don't need to. Go to the grocery store or wherever, and buy an itunes gift card and use that. When you go to redeem it itunes will try to cajole you into giving them a credit card number, too, but you can just skip that part.

• alexandra
      alexandra coursen
      I am not sure what you mean when you say it won't compete with La
      Boheme. The Pilgrim's Progress is a beauty, with snippets from
      many of Vaughan Williams better known works. To my way of thinking,
      he had a way with
      harp.

• Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

Sorry.  I'm a real Puccini fan.  I listened to a few of the PIlgrim clips online where they play just a little of each track, and they were not too wonderful.  I'm happy to hear that the piece is beautiful.  I've just gotten the recording from Barnes & Noble, but I haven't listened to it yet.  The girl didn't find it listed when I was there, so I looked for it myself and found it. I'm also getting the part from Oxford U. Press, at a very high price, so I hope there's a lot to play.  The rental guy arranged for me to buy it.  It's worth it to me because I need a lot of time to prepare a part.  The part has to come from UK, so it may be a while, due to the volcano.

• alexandra
      alexandra coursen
      Oh not to worry! Vauhan Williams' compositions encompass so much; hope you grow
      to love this work(true its not a Puccini opera, but nevertheless, an english sensibility
       put to opera).
    • Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

I had continued this conversation off line with another person, so I'm kind of updating, just in case anyone else encounters this piece.  I DO love to write, so you can just exit if I'm too verbose here.  The part has not arrived, but it has to come thru the ash clouds, so who knows when it will get out of Britain?  Originally, Barnes & Noble said the CD wasn't available, so I went online, found it in their web site and got back to them to tell them they could get it.  I have gotten the CD and have listened to it several times, as I do my exercises.  I stand by my original assessment...if you hear the clips of the beginning of each track, you've heard it all.  If we do play this, we'd better serve refreshments during intermission because probably no one will stay for the second half otherwise.  (I know some people don't appreciate my sarcasm, but it's built-in.  I'm a Saggitarius.)  The piece simply goes nowhere.  It's quite declamatory, without the lyrical quality I would expect from VW.  There is a nice monotony that renders it applicable to times when I am doing something else... like reading or exercise.  I don't hear much harp in it, but I hear lots of brass.  I suppose the action on stage provides some interest.  Is anyone here who has actually played this piece? 

• Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

The part arrived today from across the pond and through the ash clouds.  It is actually quite thick, so I'm happy about that, considering I paid a chunk for it.  If anyone else turns up needing it, let me know, and I'll explain how I got it. The title on the part has no apostrophe anywhere.  It just has PILGRIMS PROGRESS, comme ça.