harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Professional Harpists » Frank Sinatra or other Big Band...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp

• Laura
    Laura Palmieri

Are there any harp collections that include pop songs that Frank Sinatra would have sung? I tried arranging the piano version of "The Best is Yet to Come" but it was kind of hard. For one of the weddings I am playing, the bride wants Frank Sinatra type songs. Any suggestions of suitable music for harp that wouldn't be too tricky? Any favorite songs I could play?

replies to "Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp"
    • Karen
      Karen Johns

Hey Laura :-)

I found an arrangement for pedal harp at Melody's for "It had to be you". This song was sung by Frank Sinatra. You might want to look at Ray Pool's 'The Harpist's Fake Book' which is also at Melody's. Lots of songs like "Misty", "Embraceable You", and "Fascination".

Hope this helps!

Karen

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Stella Castellucci has great arrangements of those era songs - 

• Tonie
      Tonie Ogimachi

Please let us know if you find anyone who has done an arrangement of "Fly Me to the Moon."  That's one of my favorites!

• Laura
      Laura Palmieri

Hi Karen:) Nice to hear from you!

I have the songs "Misty,Embraceable You, It had to be you" . I have lots of Gershwin stuff too, but I think I might take a look at Ray Pool's Fake Book. Tony, I was looking for a nice arrangement of "Fly me to the Moon" also. I also like the song "Come Fly with me" and "April in Paris" but I didn't know if there was some arrangements of these already or some other favorites that I would be missing in my collection. I Love Stella Castelucci's arrangements! I have some if not all of her solo sheet pop arrangements. Any other suggestions of good big band songs?

• Tonya
      Tonya A

I have a very fun arrangement of Fly Me to the Moon done by Charlie Bird & Susan Peters..........somewhere :-)   Guess I'll have to go digging and see what other Sinatra gems I have in my collection!

• Tonya
      Tonya A

I have a very fun version of "Fly Me to the Moon" arranged by Charlie Bird and Susan Peters......somewhere :-)   Guess I'll have to go digging thru my collection to see what other Sinatra gems I can find!

• wendy
      wendy willis

Yeah, if you can get your hands on the Swinging Harp Series by Susan Peters and Katbird.  They arranged jazzy versions of  a lot of the old standards in the 70's. I believe the Michigan Harp Center has the publishing rights. They do require a bit of work though- lots of pedals!!!. They are harder then the Ray Pool material, but easier then Verlye Mills. There are some old standards in the two Laura Erb books as well. Another person who does her own arrangements of hundreds of standards is Sharon Watson.  Her email is  sw@sharonwatsonmusic.com  or you can call her at 317-257-2831.  Good luck.

• wendy
      wendy willis

Correction_ easier than Veryle Mills.  I guess I need to work on my grammar.

• wendy
      wendy willis

Skaila Kanga has a great book of jazz favorites as well.  They require a little work, but they sound great on the harp.

• Laura
      Laura Palmieri

Thanks Wendy! Hey I was wondering if you are from Michigan around the Detroit area? I hear about different harpists playing around this area but I never catch their names. Have we met before? It's always nice to find out who the fellow Michigan harpists are :-) I will check out the Michigan Harp Center this week and look through Kelly's music. And thanks Tonya, I will check that arrangement of "Fly me to the Moon".

• wendy
      wendy willis

Laura,

I grew up in Michigan,  but I currently reside in Washiongton DC. A number of years ago I talked to the owner of the Michigan Harp Center, and she told me that she has the publishing rights and was type setting the music. So, you should  talk to her directly. She may be willing to sale you a copy of some of  the hand written manuscripts. Don't forget yo contact Sharon Watson.

• Barbara Ann
      Barbara Ann Fackler

Here's a list of all the Sinatra tunes that I keep in my repertoire. They all work fairly easily. I put together a list of Sinatra tunes because I get asked so often which Sinatra tunes I know. Once I did the research I was surprized how many I had and didn't know it. I hope this helps.

http://www.hornandharp.com/songlists/sinatra_harp.html

• Laura
      Laura Palmieri

Wow, Barbara thats a good list. Did you arrange most of those? If I had the time I would, but I was hoping there would be some harp arrangements of those already. I've purchased a bunch of those songs through harp.com but I think I've gotten tired of playing them as well. I guess I'm gonna use the ones I have and slowly work on arranging piano versions for harp in the future. Wendy I talked to Kelly at the Michigan Harp Center today and she said she hasn't finished printing the music yet. I'll try Sharon Watson too. Thanks!

• Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

You might be interested to know that Fly Me to the Moon was originally published in 3/4 time, not 4/4 latin rhythm.

• Barbara Ann
      Barbara Ann Fackler

I work from lead sheets exclusively for pop music. I just thought list would help you go through arrangements you already have and find more that Sinatra recorded. Learning to work from lead sheets really simplifies the pop music repertoire.

Yes, I knew Fly Me to the Moon has two meters. I like to pair them together. It makes it easier to lengthen the song with two versions.

• Laura
      Laura Palmieri

Lead Sheets and me are friends :) If only people knew how many pedals we have to move to play some of these songs. Shesh :P Thanks Everyone for your help!

• Jan
      Jan Jennings

It's fun to play this in both time signatures.  I usually start in 4/4 and then go to a more upbeat tempo in 3/4.  I have an old Jackie Gleason orchestra recording of it in 4/4 and it's an absolutely beautiful arrangement of it as a ballad.