harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Professional Harpists » "There is No Rose of Such Virtue"

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

"There is No Rose of Such Virtue"

• Tonie
    Tonie Ogimachi

Does anyone know of an arrangement for "There Is No Rose of Such Virtue," by Jean Joubert?  Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction for this one.

Tonie

replies to ""There is No Rose of Such Virtue""
    • Tonie
      Tonie Ogimachi

I should clarify;  I'm looking for a different version from that which is in Britten's "Ceremony of Carols."

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

I'm not sure what you're asking, Tonie. The poem dates to the fifteenth century, so why Jean Joubert? Maybe you'd get more answers if you could explain a little more about what you want.

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

Oh, wait. Do you mean you want a harp arrangement of John Joubert's setting? I'm not aware of anything except the SATB version. I was thinking of the French poet Jean Joubert, sorry.

• Tonie
      Tonie Ogimachi

Thanks Barbara,  Yes, I think I'm talking about SATB version you've mentioned.  The folks asking me for this havesent me a rendition sung by Sting (recently released), and they would like some sort of Celtic style harp accompaniment for that.  I do have a melody line for it now, and it is the 15th century piece.  That will probably be enough to get me started.

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

Gee, I really don't know. Maybe someone else will, but that was actually much better known as a poem than a carol before Britten. I know it's not in the older Oxford Book of Carols, but if your library has the New Oxford Book of Carols it might have made it into that.

But if they want to add an accmpt to the Joubert version I suppose the best thing would be to figure out the chords from the unaccompanied vocal version, unless someone else here knows of a published arrangement.

• Julie
      Julie Albertson

The melody Sting uses is the same as in Rutter's "Dancing Day." The harp accompaniment in that particular movment is just a few chords with some vocal cues, so you'd be better off with the vocal score. Still quite sparse, but at least something.

Off to another gig...

Julie in Atlanta

• Alison
      Alison P

You might be interested in a new composition.  The  'Garland of Carols' by Anthony Bolton in London, which was recorded by Sioned Williams and the Oxford Voices at St Martins in the Fields, London in December 2008. If you can't get hold of it, I can try to find out how for you.   There are ten movements or carol settings , including 'There is no Rose' and an interlude for harp !

• Alison
      Alison P

The above composition has recently been published by Faber Music in A4 size, with the  score and a separate harp part.  The CD recorded also mentioned above has reference GUILD CD GMCD7335.